Fuel pressure help

dat620_73

I have a question about fuel pressure. I have a pressure gauge inline between the manual pump and Weber carb, at idle or acceleration the gauge needle fluctuates rapidly, so hard I can hear it bang off the needle rest! Is this normal, I don't think that is normal. Is this a sign the pump is going out? 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not oil filled, and after 2 hours of sitting the fuel pressure drops from 4 psi to 0. I could have sworn that when I first installed the gauge the needle was relatively stable. Today it started to act like I was letting the clutch out to fast and a  complete loss of power at high rpm 3000-4000, almost like the brake is on. It's a 73 620, with a stock 1600, Weber carb, new fuel filter, plugs cap, rotor, wires, pertronix, 4 speed trans and 14" tires that's why I'm at such a high rpm. 3500 is about 55mph

Pulsations are because of mechanical fuel pump....

No way around it, because big diaphragm goes up & down once every 2 engine revolutions.

Oil filled will do little. Pulsations will still kill the little brass gears inside of any gauge.

Oil filled gauges are  more for high frequency vibrations induced by the machinery your gauge is attached to, in this case, your truck.

You need a ' gauge snubber '.

Available at any industrial supply, or hydraulic dealer.

(40 years of hydraulic/pneumatic back ground here)

• Like 2