Greaser2

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

Bozo the L20B is a 6 bolt and L18/16 are 5 bolt.

Ok? Greaser has an L20b in his truck and I have an L20b on a stand with 6 bolt flywheel.  Bozo. 

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1
44 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

simple to remember   applies t L20 motors

L20 in cars  200mm

L20b in trucks 225 mm   both 6 bolt   trucks needed a heavier flywheel to help get it going. the stored energy mass

You sure the flywheel is heavier? The 200 and 225 was only the clutch diameter, but the OD of the flywheel is the same.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

But the engine side is scalloped on the lighter wheels.

I think these are 240mm but also have a 225 from a z car and from a truck that look like this. Left is about 21 pounds and the right is about 29 pounds.....

Hmmm, now I gotta take a look at the one that I got with my short block. I wanted to lighten it a little bit, but it may already be the lighter one.

we all learn something new sometimes.  No big deal.   AI LEARNED THERE IS A 5 BOLT TRUCK FLYWHEEL THAT IS A 225MM but is rare and not really brought up.

Mainer I got a 5 bolt that lighten to like 11pounds but I was scared to run . Thats why people use the Aluminum forged ones . The cast stock ones could get a crack and then go thru the trans tunnel and cut your legs off.  I would give it away but don't want liablility issues. The guy who sold it to me said it was fine then I read on here you have to be careful.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

we all learn something new sometimes.  No big deal.   AI LEARNED THERE IS A 5 BOLT TRUCK FLYWHEEL THAT IS A 225MM but is rare and not really brought up.

Mainer I got a 5 bolt that lighten to like 11pounds but I was scared to run . Thats why people use the Aluminum forged ones . The cast stock ones could get a crack and then go thru the trans tunnel and cut your legs off.  I would give it away but don't want liablility issues. The guy who sold it to me said it was fine then I read on here you have to be careful. 

Happened to Don Garlits. Took away part of his foot. One of the reasons he pioneered the driver in the front of the engine AA/F 'cars'.

The one year only '74 620 with the L18 engine was 5 bolt and 225mm PP

12310-B7900 superseded to 12310-11W00

You can turn a regular L series down on a lathe to these dimensions. Round all corners and have balanced.

rf24HUy.png

There's a reason flywheels are the weight they are. It's to store kinetic energy used to get a heavy car going from a stop. Once moving it's of no use at all and absorbs engine power when accelerating that extra weight. Racing would be fine for almost no flywheel at all. Stop and go street car? Well if you like revving and slipping the clutch. I'm guessing my L20B is a 21 pound unit. I wouldn't go below 15. There's always someone that has a 9 pound aluminum wheel and claims he has no problem driving it. Just like loud exhaust... it's fine for some but gets tiresome really quick for others. 

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
On 5/31/2019 at 8:48 AM, Greaser2 said:

So, while waiting on wheels, finished up my steering wheel. My steering wheel was too far gone so decided to go with a Grant wood wheel. The Grant 4591 adapter fits great but leave a 1” gap so no horn or turn cancel. I found a 3.25” Dia. x 1.25” long 6061 aluminum stock for a spacer for $20 shipped . I used a exacto knife to carefully cut the glue holding the copper ring on the grant hub adapter. Took the aluminum to a local machine shop and had a recess milled in each end, one for the copper ring and the other end for the hub adapter. Then the center has milled out for $50. 

fNp7qsb.jpgI then added 5 holes to the spacer, one for the horn wire, two for pins to cancel the turn signal and two I tapped for a screw to mount the adapter. 

4QgwmHY.jpgpainted the out edge, assembled everything on the column. 

OfdgA59.jpg

Pretty happy, no gap and the horn and turn cancel work. 

FK9oe1o.jpg

why does the gap cause the horn and turn cancel not to work?

• Like 1

The horn relay grounds through the steering shaft.  With a gap,no ground.

The pins have to flip a cam on the turn signal switch to cancel the turn signal.  With a gap, the pins do not reach far enough to flip the cam that cancels the switch. 

• Like 1