70 Datsun 521 newbie

Greaser2

If you took out two splines on the front of the truck, you are probably pretty close to the maximum the wheels can travel up to the frame of the truck, you have very little suspension travel.  There is nowhere for things to move.  If the suspension is bottomed out, it does not matter what shocks you have, they are not moving anyway.  

For the rear of the truck, how much room is there for things to move?  Again, no suspension travel, no movement for shocks to do their work.

The shock absorbers are there to dampen spring movement.   They absorb some shock, but not a lot of it, and they depend being able to move.  That is why new modern trucks are jacked so high, to provide a lot of room for a lot of suspension travel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

KYB Gas-a-just are available for all 4 corners, but these are stiff as well. It’s a Japanese truck from the 70’s. The suspension sucked in the first place, and modding it makes it worse.

If you want to be low with better ride quality, it’s probably time for a balljoint conversion with coil overs, and a linked rear end.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mainer311 said:

KYB Gas-a-just are available for all 4 corners, but these are stiff as well. It’s a Japanese truck from the 70’s. The suspension sucked in the first place, and modding it makes it worse.

If you want to be low with better ride quality, it’s probably time for a balljoint conversion with coil overs, and a linked rear end.

I was thinking of trying these on the rear and see what it adds or not.  The fronts, looking for options. I could go to one spline and see.  Or remove a bump stop and see. 

• Like 1

If you remove the bumpstops, then you will hit metal on metal. Daystar and Prothane both make a thin low profile poly bumpstop that may (or may not) bolt in place of the original - http://battlebornoffroad.net/prothane/prothane-bump-stops/191319bl/i-142369.aspx

Also, you could cut some of the rubber off your existing bumpstop.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

If you remove the bumpstops, then you will hit metal on metal. Daystar and Prothane both make a thin low profile poly bumpstop that may (or may not) bolt in place of the original - http://battlebornoffroad.net/prothane/prothane-bump-stops/191319bl/i-142369.aspx

Also, you could cut some of the rubber off your existing bumpstop.

The hole is just a little to small to just install those, with the suspension assembled its basically impossible to drill the hole bigger... It's is possible to tap the hole to the thread size of those bump stops, without redrilling.. I used energy suspension ones, of course now I cant seem to find out what size the thread was.. .. I just did this on my truck... greaser2 if you want me to find that info let me know... it's on one of the pages in my thread....

Edit: couldnt find the page but verified on summit the thread is 3/8-16...

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
15 hours ago, d.p said:

what clutch do you have??

This is what I got, don’t recall exactly why other then I needed a pressure plate but it went in and works great. I’ve got 1400 miles on it and it has loosened a bit but still a pain. I’ve already added support around the clevis pin to keep from deforming the pedal. Perhaps a 280z 2+2 clutch is too much. 

82EFF448-774B-405F-A780-FF91E36118EE.jpeg