70 Datsun 521 newbie

Greaser2

Why did the wires melt?  Electrical short, or too close to exhaust?

Reverse lights in a 521 are easy.  There is a red with a black stripe wire that goes down to the reverse light switch, and the red with a black stripe wire continues out to the tail lights.  One of the red with a black stripe wires is hot when the ignition is on.

There is a separate small wiring harness on each tail light assembly.  Because the tail light housings are made of plastic, each lamp in the assembly has a ground wire that goes to the metal frame of the tail light assembly.  The tail light assembly is screwed to the bed of the truck, and the bed of the truck is bolted to the frame of the truck, and finally, the frame of the truck should be connected to the engine block.   If you run a wire from the metal frame of each tail light assembly to the frame of the truck, and make sure the frame of the truck is grounded to the engine block, you will eliminate a lot of problems caused by bad grounds.

Handy 521 wiring diagram.

521wires.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It’s about 12inch of the harness along the frame.  It was near the muffler but not close. Looks to be an older short, I can see bare wires.  I went ahead and pulled the entire body harness out.  

Edited by Greaser2
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Picture of your heater core please. I have 2 heaters.

Is this pic good enough?  It is out of a 67 411 but they are almost identical so I think a 521 would fit just fine   I have a hairline crack on one of the pipe ends  ZBPJEnT.jpg

• Like 1

I will go over to where I have the heaters in storage today.  Shoot me a picture of the motor also please.  I had 3 heaters and each heater had a different style motor.  Crashtd420 got the the flat motor heater.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 2

I will be over to pick up the Heaters tomorrow for sure, life got in the way today.  Not sur from your picture but I am guessing you have the longer motor.

DSC02996.jpg

DSC02989.jpg

DSC02993.jpg

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Charlie69 said:

Yes I know you need the heater core.  The heaters will be delivered tomorrow and I will see if the heater core will hold 15 lbs of pressure.

charlie69: are you gonna be home thru out the day cuz i wanna stop by and get your input on my headlight issues

• Like 1

So I have 4” lowering blocks and two splines on the front.  Pretty low for stock suspension. And or course, the ride is ruff.  Looking around for some nice shocks but everything looks pretty basic.  Assuming shock can improve the ride, what is out there?  I figure someone has some experience.  

AB595B03-4F09-43E5-8432-97C400D66EED.jpeg

• Like 2