ISO Datsun 520 Kingpin Kit

Delapadatsun

Hello Ratsun Community, 

New member here, my name is Randy. 

I have a work in progress that started for a road event, and has slowly turned into a bit of a rat project with excellent patina.  Love the truck, but dislike the shimmy due to the kingpin bushings.  So - I've been looking for a kingpin set for my newly acquired '67 520.

After some research and reading through a number of posts on here and over at the Nico site, I've checked the usual suspects: Ebay (one set available, looks pretty old and gnarly and shipping from Crete in Greece??), Rock Auto, Autozone, NAPA, and even manufacturers direct with no luck.  It appears that there used to be availability, but there is no current stock of decent kingpin sets.

Would anyone have a line on a set for a 520/521?  I'm hoping that maybe some of your or even the guys that have been producing the disc brake kits, like Mike at bluehands, would have some insight?

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are my available options online:

1: Rare parts will make a set (https://shop.rareparts.com/RP30527-KING-PIN-SET-A).  They are 4-6 weeks, brand new, and major loot.  They want 256.12 USD or 345.76 CAD with free shipping.  Yikes.

2: This old set is available overseas on Ebay (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NOS-DATSUN-L520-L521-PL521-PickUp-Truck-520-521-JAPAN-KING-PIN-KIT-40022-25675/254217861956?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170119204035%26meid%3D2f6972770cdc48dea10099d62f4b053c%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D254052281320%26itm%3D254217861956&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042).  It will take about the same time to get here, is looking pretty rough, but cheaper.  They are asking 129.99 USD plus 26.00 shipping.  This is about 211.00 CAD.

Any thoughts or other options?

• Like 1

contack Mklotz on here he maight have a set.

The ebay one is what I have used before.

Rareparts are pieced together from what ever I think.. But did use they center link.

I have a English subsitutute version at home but don't want to give it up yet

make sure the tierods ends are good. I never had any shimmy on my 521 when the Kingpins were worn

• Like 1

banzai - good thought on the tie rod ends...they looked suspect so I have parts for those coming too. 

Do you think the surface scaling on the pins is a concern on the Ebay set?  I'm also a little worried about the bearings...

Thanks for the reply!

• Like 1

I really don't know. The bushing go undersize when pressed in hole then the machinist will ream out the bushings till the big pin a flush fit.

maybe one could sand it down a bit.

I don't know if the tierods are same as 521. as the 521 one can still get them pretty cheap from rockauto.com or Parts Geek.com & maybe others

look on here for kingpin replacement (gogle)and see more options its the center pin with the 11mm nut(really SAE size on 520s and 521 on the bodys. Motor is metric

well anyways I would find another broken 520 and scam the whole front end parts for spare in case you fuck this up.  I have had the end caps come off and lost fuck up the pin pulling it ect..... Its a pain!!!!!!!!!

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1