Z22 build

mikecaleb

Ive got a z22 block with the stock head. Its got a weber 32/36 and pacesetter headers. I want to bore it out to fit some of the ka24e pistons in to raise the compression. What all would be included in doing this? 

While ive got the head off id like to port and polish it, get some stiffer springs, and a mild camshaft. Y'all have any recommendations on the springs and cam? 

Edited by mikecaleb
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to happen on a Z22 head. The increased compression comes from a Z22 block bored to 89mm with L20B or Z22 rods and a 45.2cc L series head. The Z22 has a 57cc head so no compression gain. I just worked this out and you would have 8.439. Sorry                        

The L and the Z series are tilted differently. The L block leans 12 degrees to the right and the Z series about 8? degrees left of vertical. If you put an L head on a Z block the intake and exhaust will be tilted down into the left wheel well.

The 720 Z24 and the Z22 heads are (compression wise) the same.

The Z24 and KA24E pistons are very similar and will swap. Putting KA pistons into a Z24 block and head will get you a 9.52 compression

I would like to keep the z22 block. Being the z24 is prone to blowing the head gasket. What would it take to get the compression up with the z22 block?

And this is in a hardbody. Would the l series head with the int/exh on not hit the steering shaft? 

Edited by mikecaleb

There were only Z22s in the '81 and '82 720. From '83 on only Z24s were used. A Hardbody is not a 720 and was made from '86.5 up. The D21 Hardbody did have the Z24 engine till '88? So if you have a Z22 it has been swapped in.

You can prevent the head gasket on the Z24 engine from blowing by re-torquing the head bolts once a year.

Yes, L head on Z series engine could very well rub the steering column.

11 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The L and the Z series are tilted differently. The L block leans 12 degrees to the right and the Z series about 8? degrees left of vertical. If you put an L head on a Z block the intake and exhaust will be tilted down into the left wheel well.

The 720 Z24 and the Z22 heads are (compression wise) the same.

The Z24 and KA24E pistons are very similar and will swap. Putting KA pistons into a Z24 block and head will get you a 9.52 compression

It's not the block that is tilted. It's the bellhousing on the trans.

L series head on a Z series block - use the L series behhousing or transmission.

I know that. I am the one who swapped it in. It did have the z24i. Thats where the spare motor came from. 

I mentioned that it was in a hardbody because i didnt know if there was clearence issues with the hardbodies. 

8 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

It's not the block that is tilted. It's the bellhousing on the trans.

Have to disagree. The engine decides the angle of the bell housing which keeps the transmission upright. L series have both manifolds on the left so leans to the right for clearance. Z series has the longer intake on the right so leans to the left. The bell housing situates the transmission vertically to suite the tilt of the engine. 

Tomato tomato.

For the purposes of block interchangeability, the bellhousing determines the clocking. There are no physical differences on the back of the block, the front of the block, on top or on bottom of the block that would prevent you from using the block in either clocking configurations, no matter what head you use.