Stoked- got me a sweet little 521

530-521

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a chance to buy another just like mine and told them I wont pay much for it.Most likely it died in someones yard like this yellow one.

Most bet its a points or fuse box issue with these things in Washington. Plus a female driver with no mechanical experience, All I saw was grass growing around it with no tarp on top . Most like for years in the weather not used.

I will try to swing by and ck it out better but most likely the next cheap Datsun guy will tear it apart then dump it after they loose motivation

• Like 3

Welcome 510-52, sweet deal and great looking truck. Happy motoring to both you and your son!

It's wonderful to see others embrace their Datsun treasures.  But it's sad that in my neck of the woods any diamond in the rough would be almost obsolete. 

• Like 4

Ugh. Check this out-AjLqzeo.jpg

the top of the idler is all up into the alternator... it looks like it has been turning???

Im going to look at that in depth maybe on Wednesday... how should that idler be set up??

edit: Durrr. Yes the idler turns you dipshit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Get a new or shorter belt and it will rotate the alt away from it. The stock alternator is only a 30 amper, so you may want to upgrade in the future anyway.

Ok cool. I hope there is enough swinging room for it to get out of the way- PO says this is an upgraded alt??

Edited by 530-521
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, mainer311 said:

The upgraded alt requires a shorter belt. It’s possible that the PO reused the same belt and had to move the alt all the way out to get it to tension. Either way, fairly easy fix.

Cool- thanks for the help so far. I really appreciate it

• Like 1

If it is the stock alternator a shorter belt will fix the issue, if it has a newer internally regulated alternator you will need to find a later model alternator mount from a 720 with a Z22 I believe as that engine/truck has a larger alternator so the mount is different.

• Like 1

Grease the idler arm then replace the fitting with a plug. Might get an extra 1/4"

As wayno says. I used a 720 alternator mount on my 620. It lifts the alternator slightly away from the idler arm and the lower rad hose. Won't work on the L16 as it only uses 2 bolts. I also replaced the lower rad hose inlet with one from a z car. It angles to the rear more and positions the hose better for a larger diameter alternator.

• Like 2

That’s a freakin sweet idea- maybe I can get even more with a custom made plug.... I’ll have to spec what the idler looks like inside there. I thought that maybe the current plug/grease fitting provided preload to the works...

the reason why I am concerned about the limited swingability of the alt, is the way it’s constructed around the pivot bolt area... the web is huge. I’ll get a pic later.

Edited by 530-521

See if there are threaded hols on the other side of the block under the distributor for air air pump. If so you could re-locate the alternator to that side. I had a '71 that vibrated loose and snapped the mounting bolts off. A friend moved the alternator over to the left side. Worked just fine.

• Like 2

Is this a L18 or L20 motor?

get a shorter belt of possible. this is a common proplem when running a 50/60 amp alternator. The stock 35amper on a L16also uses the smaller bolts. So that's why I think its not a L16 otherwise someone had to do some mods if a L16 motor to a 50amp alt was installed.

I keep a set of belts Gaqtes or equiv

7345 .7350 7355 and 7360

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1

I had this issue with the alternator hitting the idler arm, but I was using an internally regulated alternator, it kept hitting the idler arm and busting the front alternator mount bolt, I made my own mounts to lower it for a few years till I figured out the 720 mount worked better(didn't break), the Zcar mounts do not work as the holes are spaced different and a different angle, it also is offset differently but it sure looks like it would work.

Here are all the types I have used or made over the years, the 2 upper left ones I made and repaired a few times.

001.jpg

• Like 3
9 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

So that's why I think its not a L16 otherwise someone had to do some mods if a L16 motor to a 50amp alt was installed.

Wrong again. I’m running a 60A Hitachi alt from a 510 with ZERO modifications other than a different belt length.

• Like 2

Stock EI coils are 0.7 to 1.0 ohms. Lower resistance draws more current making stronger magnetic field making hotter spark. Points cannot handle this amount of current and will burn out in 50 miles and why they are 1.5 ohms with a 1.5 ohm ballast in line to reduce the current.

The one pictured is 0.7 ohms so not really any better than the stock ones.

Maybe the 521's are different. My experience was with the 620. The alternator rides just a C hair above the idler arm grease nipple. A tighter belt swings the alternator too close to the block. You have to put the belt on the pulley then bolt the alternator in. Then the belt stretches and you start over.