Initial toe setting?

dat620_73

So I'm replacing the front end of my '73. No damage just old and worn out. I've replaced both outer tie rods, idler, and center link. Can't find a pitman arm, and from what I understand replacing the whole steering box is the only way to get the pitman. Any how while I wait to get a pickle fork for the driver outer tie rod; is there a baseline measurement between the idler and pitman that will get the toe close to straight?

• Like 1
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, there is nothing to wear out on the pitman arm. So it's fine.

No 'base line' measurement that I know of. Usually you count the number of turns to take the ends off and screw the new ones on the same amount, but just about anyone could just guess at it.  Just start each end then hold them still and rotate the cross rod the screw them on evenly. They are right and left thread so turning the rod in one direction tightens both on and draws the toe in. Turning the opposite direction toes out.

Alignment.

I have 4 pieces of re-bar I pound into level ground about 3 feet apart, such that I can tie a string between each pair at a height about the axle distance above the ground, front to back and you can drive between them. Pull the string very tight and make sure that they are absolutely parallel. Just tape measure between them across the front and back. When you get the same distance they are parallel.  Make sure you are measuring at 90 degrees and not on any angle.

Drive between them in as straight a direction as you can and then align one rim with one of the strings. Just measure from the string to the front of the rim and the rear of the rim. When you get the same distance they are parallel.

Go to the other side and measure from the string to the front and the rear edge of the rim. If the front distance is less than the rear you are toed out if less you are toed in.

After every adjustment bounce the body to settle the suspension. You must re set the one rim to parallel again and measure the other rim to see any change. The '73 calls for 1mm to 5mm or 0.040" to 0.20" That's not much so be sure you set the string and rim parallels as accurately as possible. I would try for the half way point of 2.5 to 3 mm of toe in. 

When the string to the front of the rim is 2.5 to 3mm less than the string to the rear of the rim you're there.

My 710 calls for 4 to 6mm so I set it at 5mm

• Like 1