Jump to content

Rear Disc Conversion for 2WD 720 ?


Dnatoli

Recommended Posts

I have been searching all through the interwebs looking for options to do a rear disc conversion on a 720. I know the drums are adequate in regards to stopping power etc. but it is still something I would like to do if possible. I have an 84 2wd 720. A name popped up a couple times on my search that goes by Beebani, that may have made brackets at one point but can't find any further information. Anybody got anything else that they can help me with?

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Knugcab said:

WD21 Pathfinder rear axle? I think they have discs. Coil sprung so it will need some fabrication but it was the first thing that came to mind.

 

I had read about that, I am capable of fabricating if need be, I would just prefer not to if at all possible. If/when I start fabbing anything in the rear of this truck it will end up being IRS from an s13, Miata, FC or something similar. I bought my truck on a whim, and unfortunately it was WAY worse than I had thought so I need one of everything to make it work and would like to go with the path of least resistance, which would be some disc conversion brackets in my specific case.

  • Like 1
Link to post

No one i know of currently makes anything specifically for the 720 to bolt on disc brakes.

 

It could be that a 620 (which i believe beebani makes) kit would work with little to no modification but i can't confirm that.

 

Also, D21 axles are leaf spring and the pathfinder brake kit is bolt on (so long as both are v6 and use the HB233 axle) so for a day at the junkyard you could assemble the desired setup to be nearly bolt in.  Again that assumes the spring perches are the same distance apart 720 to D21.  Additionally you can get a clutch pack LSD from a D21, which by varying the number of clutches in it can have the breakaway torque value changed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
10 minutes ago, Lockleaf said:

No one i know of currently makes anything specifically for the 720 to bolt on disc brakes.

 

It could be that a 620 (which i believe beebani makes) kit would work with little to no modification but i can't confirm that.

 

Also, D21 axles are leaf spring and the pathfinder brake kit is bolt on (so long as both are v6 and use the HB233 axle) so for a day at the junkyard you could assemble the desired setup to be nearly bolt in.  Again that assumes the spring perches are the same distance apart 720 to D21.  Additionally you can get a clutch pack LSD from a D21, which by varying the number of clutches in it can have the breakaway torque value changed.

 

Thank you so much Lockleaf! that is incredibly handy and straightforward information. I had read a bunch of things regarding this, but never had anything definitive like what you just wrote out. What year pathfinder should I be looking for? Does it matter if the d21 is 4wd or not?

 

also does anybody know if Beebani is still making stuff? I want to order his brackets to verify if it works on a 720 or not. If he still is making stuff and If I source all the stuff for the conversion and it does not work on the 720, I will sell the kit on here to a 620 owner for a discount off what I paid.

  • Like 1
Link to post

1st gen pathfinder is what you are looking for.  Something like 87 to 95.  Some are disc brake some are drum.  I do not believe 4wd matters.

 

The LSD is also from the pathfinder, not the truck.

  • Like 1
Link to post
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:23 PM, Lockleaf said:

1st gen pathfinder is what you are looking for.  Something like 87 to 95.  Some are disc brake some are drum.  I do not believe 4wd matters.

 

The LSD is also from the pathfinder, not the truck.

 

thank you very much! I put in an order last week for the rear disc conversion brackets from beebani, but have not had a confirmation or any sort of response. I really want to try that before I source a rear end swap.

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 5/9/2019 at 6:23 PM, Lockleaf said:

1st gen pathfinder is what you are looking for.  Something like 87 to 95.

 

 

According to Pathfinder forums it appears the 94-95 had the strongest LSD. If you head to a junk yard just clear off the rear diff pumpkin and there should be a yellow or orange sticker stating to use "LSD fluid" or something to that nature.
With that said, it is recommended to take apart the LSD and thoroughly clean the friction plates and discs.

  • Like 2
Link to post
8 hours ago, Knugcab said:

Hm, D21 pickup is leaf sprung indeed but I am pretty convinced that WD21 pathy is coil sprung?

This is accurate.  This is also why it was recommended he assemble his axle in they junkyard with d21 and wd21 parts to get what he wants.

 

On 5/13/2019 at 7:21 PM, Crytek89 said:

 

 

According to Pathfinder forums it appears the 94-95 had the strongest LSD. If you head to a junk yard just clear off the rear diff pumpkin and there should be a yellow or orange sticker stating to use "LSD fluid" or something to that nature.
With that said, it is recommended to take apart the LSD and thoroughly clean the friction plates and discs.

I've heard the same.  But if one goes to the effort to disassemble an extra wd21 axle you can take the discs and plates from it and custom tune your axle by changing the number of installed plates.

  • Like 3
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.