Original Bed vs Replacement Bed

B_riginal

The current bed on my 521 is fairly beat up and you can see the weld spots and a bunch of small outward dents. I thought about tackling the body work myself, one small area at a time (likely over a long period of time) or taking it to a body shop. 

I recently went to a body shop for a quote, $$$ too much right now and I like the patina, I just don't like all the little dents. 

so I searched the WWW and found a bed that has almost the same color as my truck but does not have any dents and supposedly no bondo. the bed is a 2 hour drive for me but the price is cheap.

My question(s) is:

How do I find the "matching numbers" for the bed? I know the bed was attached here in USA but did it go with a particular truck? does it matter (resale-wise) if I replace the bed which will eventually get painted.?  

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When buying a rusty old Datsun pickup, I don't think many people really care about "matching numbers." I have rows of weld spots and dents in mine too. Just makes the truck a truck I guess. I don't think the beds were ever really perfect from the factory. I'd go with the one that's least rusty.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 3

All 521 beds were the same. Good contrition trumps color or any other consideration. Get it, put it on and enjoy your 'new' truck.

The top of the frame rail on the right side behind the engine mount has a serial number stamped into it that should match the engine tag screwed to the inner left fender? But that's about it.  This ain't a '69 GTO Judge.

• Like 3
On 5/7/2019 at 8:47 AM, mainer311 said:

Funny, I know someone who's buying one of these right now.

I hope it's not the one one I'm looking at. 🙂 ***** obviously I had no idea how the quote function worked. I get it now.

You got any pics of the 69 GTO! 

Edited by B_riginal
oops
  • Like 1