521 speedogear

Greaser2

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You only need the spindle with the gear on it. Black is 17 tooth. 32703-22001, about $15.

The 510, 610 and 710 wagons, and the A10 or HL510 F4W63 (4 speeds) did use them but it depends on rear end gearing that was used.

Try an ad in the classifieds...  https://ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-datsun-parts/

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Greaser2 said:

My 17 tooth speedogear is rounded. Any ideas on a replacement.  70 521. 

Here is a question is you speedometer correct or was it ?

I have a black one but it's what I run in my truck, so sorry I dont wanna give up my spare.... 

I have a yellow 16 tooth I would give up, but if you need the black one that doesnt really help....

43 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

You only need the spindle with the gear on it. Black is 17 tooth. 32703-22001, about $15.

The 510, 610 and 710 wagons, and the A10 or HL510 F4W63 (4 speeds) did use them but it depends on rear end gearing that was used.

Try an ad in the classifieds...  https://ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-datsun-parts/

Mike what year 720 had the stumpy 71b transmission? 1984 right?

Because I am using the same speedometer drive in my stumpy 5spd 71b as I was in my 63 series 4spd.... so in theory would this part work? 

Says it fits the 84 to 86.....

Screenshot-20190504-182100-Chrome.jpg

I'm cautious to suggest this dont wanna waste someone's money if I am wrong... I know all other 71b transmission use a shorter speedo pinion but look the same so verify what your buying....

I'm no expert on this but I have made some observations. Over the course of the 720 there have been 3.362, 3.545, 3.700, 3.889, 4.11, 4.375, 4.625 differential ratios and different diameter tires. Now how do you add teeth ranging from 16 to 22 without increasing the diameter OR making the teeth smaller and closer together??? (and trust be they go higher and lower on some other vehicles that use the same transmission)

I think the spindle with the gear on it is in the center of the sleeve that holds it and this will allow gear engagement for 3 numbers before the teeth bottom out. For the next three the spindle is eccentric or offset from the center line on a different spindle a few mm and this allows the teeth and diameter to remain the same size. For the next three numbers, the spindle is slightly more offset again in a 3rd sleeve.  So a 16 tooth gear will not work in a sleeve for a 19, 20 or 21 tooth.

Case in point... I had a 20 tooth (Red) spindle but needed a 22 tooth to make the speedometer accurate. I did get one (Orange) but when installed in the 20 tooth sleeve it would not go into the transmission. Charlie was good enough to scrounge a proper sleeve up for me, in went the spindle and now it fits. The sleeve came with a Purple (21 tooth) gear so this sleeve probably was for a 21, 22, 23?  

Shorty? I think with the Z24 King Cabs. I could be wrong. I have one from a 4x4 (but no speedometer) and it was a KC.

• Like 1

So I'm up to about 80% sure I'm right that the part number I posted would work.... 

This is a pic of the speedo assemblies I have... the yellow came out of my 63 series 4spd from a 521 and the black one came out of the stumpy 71b from a 720. 

20180517_183421.jpg

20180519_215411.jpg

20190505-183656.jpg

I know the short tail 71b came in the 84 to 86 720, but I dont know if they used the long tail also in those years which would be a different speedo drive...

Greaser2 maybe take the part number and info I posted and see if the local dealer will order it ...... 

If it happens to be the sleeve and gear I would compare them. Refer back to Mike's post about things being offset. You may have to remove the gear and install it in the sleeve the came out of your transmission.....

I had to cut a retaining notch at 180 degrees for it to work but length was correct.. that why I say use your sleeve..

16 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Here is what I have on them.

Speedometer-Pinions-page-001.jpg

These would be correct for a long tail 71b and probably the 71c.....

Colors vs gear ratios are probably universal for the datsun/nissan....

But even that is confusing to me....

In my truck the black 17 tooth was 10% off in the 4 spd and almost 30% off in the 5 spd... 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

So I'm up to about 80% sure I'm right that the part number I posted would work.... 

This is a pic of the speedo assemblies I have... the yellow came out of my 63 series 4spd from a 521 and the black one came out of the stumpy 71b from a 720. 

20180517_183421.jpg

20180519_215411.jpg

20190505-183656.jpg

I know the short tail 71b came in the 84 to 86 720, but I dont know if they used the long tail also in those years which would be a different speedo drive...

Greaser2 maybe take the part number and info I posted and see if the local dealer will order it ...... 

If it happens to be the sleeve and gear I would compare them. Refer back to Mike's post about things being offset. You may have to remove the gear and install it in the sleeve the came out of your transmission.....

I had to cut a retaining notch at 180 degrees for it to work but length was correct.. that why I say use your sleeve..

Dealer, u mean Nissan?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Greaser2 said:

I have seen this, it does not look exactly like mine but could very well fit?

Those are for the long tail 71b they are shorter.... wont work.... I searched before trying to correct my speedometer... everyone has the shorter one..... we need the longer one..... 

And yes go right to the nissan dealer, if your lucky they will order It and you can bring yours in to compare the old to new before you have to buy it.... 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

One thing that you have to watch is the offset on the pinion housings differ.  One member had to cut a hold done groove on the opposite side of the pinion to make it fit his application.

I've done this three times. Pre '80s sleeves are 180 to '80 and up for some reason. The bolt that secures the sleeve moved to 6 from 12. 

7 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Those are for the long tail 71b they are shorter.... wont work.... I searched before trying to correct my speedometer... everyone has the shorter one..... we need the longer one..... 

And yes go right to the nissan dealer, if your lucky they will order It and you can bring yours in to compare the old to new before you have to buy it.... 

I agree. The shorter ones are for long 4 and 5 speeds. I had a longer steel sleeve that was from a 521/ 510 and they were like them. I think the dogleg and the 510 sleeves are the same size too.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, speedo/cable/pinion gear all work. I can spin the pinion gear and dash speedo moves. But when connected to transmission I get no speed. Here’s a pic in the pinion hole. I can see one gear but it’s teeth are way to big and not in the right alignment anyway.  Guessing I will need to Pull the trans and remove tail housing to see what’s going on.  Opinions?

nb957Op.jpg

33 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Kind of dark but you can sort of see the difference.... I can get another pic with some more light if you need.....

Nope, I see the gear in yours. Mine is missing. Probably floating around in there somewhere. Hopefully it will go back on, not sure how to get a replacement if it’s broke.