Counterfeit Speed Parts

A recent article in Grassroots Motorsports discusses counterfeit speed parts, where they come from, how to spot them. I bring this up because many of you have been complaining of crappy Aeromotive fuel pressure regulators. I wonder if you've gotten fake ones by mistake.

I remember the story of a business owner I know who's parts were knocked off, and then went to court. He used morse code to spell out his company name in the part. The thief did not notice this and made the parts exactly as they were. When they compared both parts in front of the judge, the originator pointed out the morse code, much to the thief's surprise...

Here's the article - https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/fake-out-spotting-counterfeit-speed-parts/

• Like 2
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone remember the Iran hostages during Jimmy Carter's presidency? Eight helicopters were sent into the desert on a rescue mission but several became non operational at the staging area. I remember reading that on at least one, a counterfeit part failure was to blame. Maybe not true but I bet they really check their suppliers. 

• 2 weeks later...

I do a lot of manufacturing for my business, and what I've found is that overseas contracts are only honored for 2 years.  After that, the manufacturer will produce your parts, although with slight variations, and sell them to other companies so they can make more profit from your tooling.  The real solution here is to only have components made overseas and assemble the parts locally so counterfeiting can't happen.  Devices like th MSD 6A box became difficult to source for a while because the counterfeits were more plentiful than the real thing due to a decrease in sales, therefor inventory - all over a $30 price cut on the fakes which failed all the time and depleted MSD's service department.  Aeromotive actually has a service bulletin on their logo so you can spot a fake easily.  

On 5/3/2019 at 12:50 PM, vicdat said:

Agree...there's been a rash of counterfeit NGK plugs too...

Preeeeeetty sure I got some fake NGK iridium plugs on ebay.  Some of them wouldn't even fit in my spark plug socket properly.  Live & learn.  F China.  Go Trump!  Hahahaha