Another FS5W71B 56mm bearing victim

giantcone

When I did it I was pointed at the cage at an angle, the more the angle the faster it spun, it sorta sounded like a turbocharger whistle.

Fact is if I were this guy I would find a 56mm bearing and a good front cover, I never turn a case out to 62mm unless the case gets screwed up from the outer race spinning in its hole, then I have them bored out, but only diesel cases, L block cases are not that hard to find around here yet, and napZ cases are every where in the PNW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I'll take the path of least resistance and simply get a new 56 mm bearing, seals, and a front cover gasket and try to get the truck back on the road as quickly and safely as I can.  I'd post some images of the cracked front cover, but I don't have any accounts on these image sharing websites ( I tried using my Google drive, but that didn't work).  The crack isn't too bad, and I think I can fill it with an epoxy like JB Weld and get the inside close to the original shape (if not material) that it was.  Chatting with @wayno off-band I get the impression that finding a brand new 56 mm front cover could be difficult. I was looking at nissanpartsdeal.com and I believe they're only selling the newer 62 mm cover.  If you care to see pictures, let me know and I'll grudgingly attempt to set myself up with one of those image sharing services.

Thanks for the advice gang

I believe that you can find a 56mm cover on several different vehicles, likely the reason you have a 56mm bearing is because your transmission was changed out for an earlier 5spd, are there any complete 5spd transmissions to be had in your area out of a truck, Z car, any Datsun/Nissan in that era?

We cannot see your photo if you tried posting one of your cover, email me the photo you have of your cover, I seriously doubt it would be a good idea to use a repaired cracked cover as if it leaks you have to take it all apart again.

I do not believe it would be a good idea to use a 62mm cover on a 56mm bearing, the case will likely hold the bearing, but I suspect the outer race would spin easier in it's hole, and I don't believe either size shim will fit properly.

Even a Z 4 speed would have the same front cover. Do a little bit of searching or calling around. Someone like Troy Ermish or Steve Epperly will have a spare cover laying around. Someone here on Ratsun would likely have one too.

I would not JB weld it. You're just asking for trouble. And then you'd have to remove the trans again to fix the leak.

F4W71B 4 speeds have been around since '72 in the 240z and stopped being used about '83 in the 720 truck. All were 56mm counter bearing cover plate.

FS5W71B 5 speeds were introduced in '77 and used through '84 with the 56mm cover plate.

All trucks from '74 used them and all z cars (non turbo) 810/Maxima and second and third gen 200sx so there are lots out there.

Replace the cover. The shim prevents the cover from overly pre loading the bearing. Measure the distance the bearing protrudes out of the front of the case and select the proper shim. In theory if just replacing the bearing it should be the same as the old. The select shim allows for production variances of internal parts. 

The difference in diameter is 3mm or 0.120" all around,

kySCZRA.jpg

I took the cover to one local machine shop, the machinist seemed unwilling to weld the damage up on the cover. I likely need to ask around some more. In speaking with my father who has decades of experience with welding, he stated that one consideration would be warping from the heat of the weld. He hasn't seen the piece however. I guess I could ship it to him and he could perform the TIG weld.  

I've been calling around junkyards here and it seems that all the ones I've called have scrapped all their late 70s early 80s Nissan vehicles or just don't have them anymore. There is a "U-pull 'n Pay" in Albuquerque, but in my experience one pays $2 to get in to wander around only not to find the needed vehicle or part and waste hours under the blazing sun.  I'm thinking repair is the way to go in my situation.

• Like 1

I fixed many VW crank case holes (when a connecting rod tried to escape, to run free among other road flotsam) with epoxy.

Aluminum has to be 100% clean, and roughed up, and the epoxy has to be thick. 

But I like spending $2 to walk around a wrecking yard too.

That cover is cracked and has a hole in it, it also has a groove 1/3 of the way around it before the bearing made a hole to escape, that cover is junk, I would try using a 62mm cover with a 56mm bearing before using that thing as most the bearing outer race is in the case not the cover.

This is why when you hear that tell tale noise you fix it before it explodes, now I am not saying it always gives you a warning by making noise, but it usually does, I have had mine explode without warning in the work truck once, I have fixed maybe a dozen transmissions so far, if I had a 56mm bearing cover I would sell it to him but I don't, I have used them all up and need a couple myself now.

5 hours ago, giantcone said:

Okay, I'll take the path of least resistance and simply get a new 56 mm bearing, seals, and a front cover gasket and try to get the truck back on the road as quickly and safely as I can.  I'd post some images of the cracked front cover, but I don't have any accounts on these image sharing websites ( I tried using my Google drive, but that didn't work).  The crack isn't too bad, and I think I can fill it with an epoxy like JB Weld and get the inside close to the original shape (if not material) that it was.  Chatting with @wayno off-band I get the impression that finding a brand new 56 mm front cover could be difficult. I was looking at nissanpartsdeal.com and I believe they're only selling the newer 62 mm cover.  If you care to see pictures, let me know and I'll grudgingly attempt to set myself up with one of those image sharing services.

Thanks for the advice gang

I would 2nd the idea of replacing the 56mm instead of going to the 62.... 

But just incase you have to , I know you said you had problems finding the part number for the bearing......

This is it.... 

20190504-171851.jpg

I did a front case swap to put a stumpy 71b behind my l series motor, so I had to switch to the 56mm to fit the case....

I have the other bearing numbers written down some where if you need any of those....

And I dont know if you did or not but take the tail housing off too and give the internals a good look..... i tried to skip that and I'm glad I didn't, I found the center bearing ready to fall apart.... plus u need to seal it all up again anyhow and when taking the front case off you probably broke the seal to the tail housing.....

11 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Replace the cover. The shim prevents the cover from overly pre loading the bearing. Measure the distance the bearing protrudes out of the front of the case and select the proper shim. In theory if just replacing the bearing it should be the same as the old. The select shim allows for production variances of internal parts.

Ditch the shim and the gasket to help the shift stops.