17’s on my 521

B_riginal

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/1/2019 at 5:36 PM, mainer311 said:

If I’m correct, these wheels are off of a base model Chevy Silverado. Even the Chevy didn’t look good with them.

You're correct. I was first told they were from a titan, then with some research I found their from '07 Chevy Silverado's. 

Good eye.

They remind me of Alcoa rims which I kinda like, what I did not expect is to go from this (see photo below, this is how I bought the truck) to a bit of a "racer" look. The main reason for the switch is the very high price for the white walls and the terrible ride quality. So I wanted to have a lot of white (thus the 17's) with off-the-shelf, inexpensive and a better ride quality tires.

(I did not get rid of the original rims or the white walls, their now just taking up room at my house.) 

I do plan to lower the back a little, just to level the truck. 

Side note: if that yellow Buick is real, WTF....how?!

jjtPmFw.jpg

• Like 5

If it were my truck, I think I would go with a more classic look. Maybe a 15" Toyota 4x4 wheel with hubcaps and white stripe walls.

The Buick looks odd. I think that one has been photshopped, but I have seen them like that. 32" wheels are common, but those look much bigger and the tires look like someone drew them with a marker.

• Like 2

Truck looks great with that white stripe and white roof. The white walls actually look pretty cool on it. 

Maybe it just looks funny because it sits so high.

To be honest, these king pin trucks all ride like shit, no matter what wheel/tire combo you have.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Truck looks great with that white stripe and white roof. The white walls actually look pretty cool on it. 

Maybe it just looks funny because it sits so high.

To be honest, these king pin trucks all ride like shit, no matter what wheel/tire combo you have.

Thanks, yes the color scheme really made this truck stand out to me. I like the white walls too, which is why I have them as sort of spares. 

and yes the truck still feels uncomfortable but now I can keep it in the lane a lot easier. and it handles all right, as long as there are no potholes. 

Perhaps you or someone knows what shocks work well for these trucks. Maybe its asking a lot but it would be great to drive over a bump at 15-mph. 

• Like 1

Shocks won’t help much, especially if your steering and/or king pins are worn out. In any case you can run KYB Excel-G shocks for a more original ride, or their Gas-a-just nitrogen shocks for a stiffer feel. Depending on how far you want to go, a complete suspension swap to ball joints and coil overs would probably be the most effective for ride comfort. 

I’m almost 6’ so riding in the truck sucks anyway. I just know that it looks badass, so I deal with it.

• Like 2

jjtPmFw.jpg

This is much better but more of a 50s whitewall tire, not late 60s. Can not ever go wrong with the stock rims and dog dishes. Tires should be black and even more so on a truck... because, truck. Clean black rubber not that gay wet oily slippery looking rubber in a spray can either. Two inches of rubber on 20" rims just is not right. If mags, I'm partial to spikes but not that mesh stuff or thin wire spokes... it's not your old man's Cordoba

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

This is much better but more of a 50s whitewall tire, not late 60s.

Yes, that's what I said. I remember them as a kid. When I was old enough to own my own car 'Wide Ovals' with thin pin stripe tires were the rage quickly followed with 'Raised White Letter' ones like my Goodyear Pollyglass tires on my '70 Dart. Anything else was 'old man' stuff.

• Like 1

Right. Though the wide whites are classic, they would never have been installed on a Japanese truck of this era. They don't fit the character either, unless you've got that whole SoCal bomb thing going on. A thin white stripe wall was used on these trucks and you can still get them with original tread designs.

I had these on my 320 -

320_Datsun_Frame_Clip_Install_111.jpg

IMG_0478Small.jpg

IMG_0479Small.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for all your input. The white chevy wheels seem to be fairly split here. I agree with most purest on these trucks, I want to keep the truck mostly stock looking, but I also want to have a decent/comfortable and reliable car that has a "low cost" of ownership. Seems like all tires with a stripe of any size jumps up in price and is limited to only a few options. The 17" wheel is a very common size, the tires are affordable and very easy to get.   

But  I can always slap the wheels and whites on when ever I want. 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

stock rim??? Optimo,s I have on my 521 with small white wall

Photos? 

I looked up the optimo's they do seem pretty cheap about $80. but the tires I have seem like the tread is better and they are less then $300 all 4 mounted and balanced. 

I dont know maybe, I'll have to get a set of those optimos too.

• Like 1