1985 200sx differential in a 510?

Hi guys, 

Im fairly new to Datsuns. I’m working on a 1971 Datsun 510. I’m at the point where I’m redoing the rear suspension and have come across a rear differential from a 1985 200sx. It looks like it would interchange with the stock 510 differential. I see it’s about 1/2” wider but think the half shafts would compensate for that. Question is will the 510 stub shafts fit in this differential or are they the wrong size, spline count?

Is there anything I’m missing?

Any input would be appreciated before I tear into these differentials and find out it won’t work and waste my time.

Thank you,

Rob

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for replying. You call it a long nose but it doesn’t appear to be any longer than the original 510 differential. I will measure overall length today. I did measure the mounting holes and the mustache bar holes and they seem to be the same. Will the stub shafts from the 510 fit? I am installing a VG33 and already have this differential. I didn’t mention that this differential came out of a 4 cylinder car. I don’t know if that makes a difference.

Si I just measured the overall length of the 200sx differential and it’s the same length as the 510 unit. The 200sx does have 411 gears and the ring gear looks heavier so thinking I’d like to use it. Just wondering if the stub shafts will interchange?

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2019 at 7:35 AM, vetteguy22 said:

Si I just measured the overall length of the 200sx differential and it’s the same length as the 510 unit. The 200sx does have 411 gears and the ring gear looks heavier so thinking I’d like to use it. Just wondering if the stub shafts will interchange?

There is also a short nose version, hence why Mike called it a Long Nose

Image result for r200 rear end

Thanks Jesse,

so I pulled the axels and stub shafts from the 200sx differential and measured the length of the stub axels.

the 200sx stub axels are longer. Can I use stub axels from another differential. These axels use clips to restrain them, not bolted.

thanks,

rob

It's an R180 they didn't put R200's in the 200sx unless it got the V6 which was only 87 and 88.  An easy way to tell if it's an R180 is it will have a giant "K" stamped on the top.  We have the 200sx R180 in our 510 racecar with the old nismo comp LSD.   If you want to run it as is you need to open your R160 and pull out the threaded caps the stub axles bolt into and put them in the R180.  It's a pretty intense project but as long as you are tedus and don't mix up the side plates with the shims it will be fine.  The R180 is much stronger then the open R160 which only lasted 2 days behind my SR20DET.  

Thanks Icehouse for the info. 

I actually pulled a spare R160 apart the other day and got the threaded buttons out of it and disassembled the R180 yesterday and installed them. The differential has been cleaned, painted and polished and I installed it in the car this morning.