GT3 Road Race Chassis Rebuild, S14

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too spent a little time around the nasport cars back in the day!

Most of the stuff I've been collecting or was given to me.

The body was a spare I bought from Mac Russel.

9 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Do you have pics of the bodywork? Doug Barnhold built the bodies for Nissan back then. I wonder if it is one of those.

I remember Mac Russell's Alfa GTV, and I thought I remember him with a Mazda.

Yes it is a Doug built body ( may he rest in peace). when he passed away we went and picked up the molds, their in Portland now.

Mac never had a mazda that I know of, only the alfa and the 240, were you at rebelos when they built his engine?

That's it. I do remember writing his name on a build sheet, so yes, I was still at Rebello's then.

Doug Barnhold was a massive hoarder of cars and parts. I once had the opportunity to visit him at his place in Fontana (before the speedway was built). He had bits and pieces from some of the most famous Datsun/Nissan race cars spread all over his chicken farm. I bought a pair of Solex 44's mounted on a BRE manifold that were actually from one of the BRE cars. He also had a one off BRE built heat exchanger, which he would not sell me. In one of his chicken coops, he had a 300zx "Corvette Killer", which was built by Nissan Motorsports as a lightweight street car. It was supposed to have been crushed, but Frank Honsowetz snuck it out the back door. I also remember seeing  CP 240Z hidden on one of the barns, but didn't pay much attention, as back then, it was just an old race car.

He was quite a cool dude.

• Like 1

Good catch on the bleeders.

One other thing, I would use anti-seize on everything. Not on the threads per se, but on the bolt shanks and on the heim misalingment bushings and sleeves. Those lone blots on the lower shock mounts are a good example of where anti seize could be used on the shank of the bolt. Keep it from rusting into place over time.

• Like 1

I was wondering if anyone would catch that. I realized it when I did the other side, and switched them after I did the video.

Good point on the long shank bolts, I actually had one of the lower shock bolts come out real hard on another car! 

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Purpose built for what?

Drag racing?

Oval track?

What kind of rule would specify a solid rear axle on a road race car ?

I've been involved with converting solid axle cars to IRS, and have seen 1000+ HP imports have ford 9" rear ends stuck under them for drag racing.

But never a road race car, that came with a very strong IRS, get a solid axle put in it, especially when it's a full tube chassis.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, G-Duax said:

Purpose built for what?

Drag racing?

Oval track?

What kind of rule would specify a solid rear axle on a road race car ?

I've been involved with converting solid axle cars to IRS, and have seen 1000+ HP imports have ford 9" rear ends stuck under them for drag racing.

But never a road race car, that came with a very strong IRS, get a solid axle put in it, especially when it's a full tube chassis.

Welcome to the train wreck called the SCCA

All in the name of trying to reduce cost I would suppose.

• Like 3