620 KC 4x4 Conversion

Billy Dat Kid

My 1977 620 KC is bone stock as it gets. And as much as I like minorly modified trucks, I have decided to do a 4x4 conversion. As already quacked at, I will "not" dump this project for cheap 6 months down the road, this 620 was my 10th birthday present. Last year (August or so) I dug it out of the weeds after a 6 year slumber and decided to start restoring it.

Anyhow, I bought an '85 720 LB 4x4 for the frame/steering/4x4 assembly. To any and all who've ever attempted to make a 2wd Datsun a 4x4, be my guest and shoot a comment. Won't be starting on this until it's much warmer and drier out. I actually anticipate this to be a long but easy going swap. Never know though. Thanks.

56879244_2072191492898597_6999146475850557155094_2077455659038847_62662032587468

• Like 2
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello newbie, welcome to Ratsun. I respect your enthusiasm with the swap, an undertaking that will require the most discerning adventurer. We're here to guide you and expel any creative experience at your bidding, plus give you an open minded opinion, of course. Cheers!

• Like 1

Welcome!! I find your project fascinating. I have a 1973 620 that my Dad bought brand new, and since he is now gone I plan to put a diesel in it. I had a 1982 Datsun 720 diesel King Cab frame given to me. So far I have found that a 620 King Cab (and most likely the standard cab) will fit on the 720 King Cab frame with a perfect match for the body to frame bolts. I haven't got far enough to try the 620 bed on the 720 frame, but my measurements say that it will fit directly mount bolt for mount bolt.

The biggest difference so far I've found is that the 620 steering box and the idler arm are on the inside of the frame, while the 720 steering box and idler arm are on the outside of the frame. This is a plus if you plan to add things to the side of the motor (A.C., power steering, etc), which I plan to do. The fact that the steering box and idler arms are mounted different means that the 720 and 620 front suspensions are different (king pins for the 1977 and earlier 620, and ball joints for the 1978 and later 620 and all the 720's).The fact that you have a King Cab means that you might have disc brakes.

Don

• Like 1

There are many downsides to using a 720 4x4 chassis and drivetrain, but it will be a very simple swap, and one that I would love to own and drive myself. If you simply want a truck that is way more useful than it's 2wd counterpart, what you are proposing is a damn good idea.

Good luck and keep us updated with plenty of pics.

• Like 1