Adjustable leaf spring shackles?

89Sunny

Does anyone here run adjustable rear leaf spring shackles in the front? I bought some rear leaf springs for an older 1200 and they do not line up. 

They told me to notch where it connects in the front so I did and the pin still does not line up. 

IMG_3091.jpegIMG_3092.jpegIMG_3093.jpeg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2nd thought: I have lowering blocks that go with this too so I was thinking of making new blocks. Center the pin (read welded on bolt) on the top and relocate the hole on the bottom to accept the new spring pin location. Or does this NEED to be centered? 

Leave the old pin in place to keep structurally sound. Bad enough to drill more holes but you don't want it to start any fractures.

I guess the lowering block off set would work. Don't forget the rear axle is held in place (against side to side movement ) by the rigidity of the two spring packs and the centering of forces on the pin.  The pin that is now indirectly connected to the  leaf pack and through an off set on the lowering block. Make sure the U bolts are tight and check now an then that the block is not shifting..

This was just sent from the seller so i guess I'll do this first. It's free and easy 

Hi Todd

Yes do the other side. The reason this side won’t line up is due to the other side standard spring pulling the diff forward due to the ark the spring gets in it when unloaded. You will probably notice that the other side wheel isn’t sitting in the centre of the wheel arch when it’s jacked up like it is. The new springs won’t flattern out as much when loaded so there won’t be as much difference in wheel movement between loaded and unloaded.

2 minutes ago, wayno said:

You have a drive line in this equation also, you cannot pull the yoke out of the transmission very far without major issues.

Do you have the leaf spring backwards meaning the front eye towards the rear?

Now I admit that I am not that smart when it comes to this truck BUT i do have the spring on correctly. The big eye in the front just as it came off. 🙂

@datzenmike 

Well I could not get the first one too fit right I did not want to cut more to try to get the 2nd one to fit. I'm learning .. 

Well after taking everything loose/off and having everything balanced on a jack I finally got the springs on and everything lined up. (with blocks). I have to go over everything and tighten it tonight. Thanks again everyone for your help.

lower.jpglower1.jpg