'79 620 auto to manual swap

Eric

Can i use a 240/260Z manual gearbox?

Can i use the driveshaft from the auto box? 

Anyone has a picture that shows how the pedals are mounted to the firewall?

Anything else i should think of? Different starter motors probably?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what Europe got in their z cars but generally from September '71 on... a 31.5" long F4W71B (4 speed) was used. This should be the same length as the '79 automatic and should fit and use the same driveshaft. The mount to the cross member I'm not sure. You may be able to reverse or 180 the cross member to get it to line up?

The clutch pedal is mounted to  the underside of the dash beside the brake. The best thing is to get a clutch and brake pedal from a standard truck and swap both... the auto brake pedal is too wide. I guess you could trim and bend it out of the way. The automatic truck may have the holes for the clutch master already there and covered with a block off plate otherwise you'll need to make them for mounting. The clutch pedal is joined to the clutch master with an adjustable push rod. Again, for best fit it should be from another 620. You'll need a hydraulic hard line from the master to a flexible hose to the clutch slave on the side of the transmission. (the 4 speed from the z car may have the slave on it still) You'll need a clutch arm and dust boot, shifter and dust boot. If you have the 240/260 there for parts, use the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate and the release bearing and collar that holds it mounted on the clutch arm. It will fir the L20B engine I presume you have? You will need a pilot bushing pressed into the end of the crankshaft and the automatic pilot converter pried off the end of the crankshaft so the flywheel can be bolted on.

If you have the z car flywheel I would get a new clutch/pressure plate and release bearing for that year z car. If you have the z car release collar use it, if not, it MUST match the clutch so try to find a replacement clutch that includes the correct collar in the kit..

The automatic wiring on the transmission has an interlock that prevents starting in any position BUT PARK and NEUTRAL so join the White/Black (stripe) wire to the Black/White (stripe) wire or the starter will not work. The two Red/Black (stripe) wires are for the back up lamps. Connect them to the reverse switch located just to the rear of the clutch arm dust boot. The automatic has an electrical kick down so there will be a Blue/Black (stripe) and a Black wire for it on the left side of where the automatic was...these will need to be taped up. Beside it is a vacuum hose and metal line up to the intake, connected probably where the brake booster hose joins the intake. Disconnect and seal this open fitting and remove the rest down to the transmission.

That's it, starters are the same.

• Like 1

Thank you for this very detailled answer 👌
Z parts are no problem i have them all, the auto truck does have the holes for the clutch master cylinder already there and covered and it is the same cylinder as a 240z. So i'll need to find a complete clutch pedal assembly and i'm good to go i guess. (well and a truck, but i can look for automatic now as well)