1983 Nissan Maxima come up (:

Just bought this guy yesterday,1983 Nissan Maxima thats been sitting since 1992(last year tagged),2.8L diesel with 5 speed FS5W71B ๐Ÿ˜Ž,gonna pull the 5 speed and slap it in my A10. Will my 3 speed auto bolt onto this behemoth? I actually got the engine running again and am thinking of either keeping the diesel since it's a bit cheaper to buy right now than standard gas or swapping in another engine and keep it as a daily. Any swap info you guys can share with me in regards to suspension and engine?

ย 

20190410_134654_HDR

ย 

• Like 1
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Transmission won't work in the A10 as is. The A10 automatic won't fit the Diesel also. The diesel starter is on the left or driver's side.

ย 

I have Maxima struts and calipers on my 710 and love them!!! They are slightly shorter (so bonus lowering) massive calipers and have vented rotors just a hair smaller diameter than the 280zx too! Really nice up grade but you may need 14" rims to clear the calipers. If those are factory mags USE EM! You should also use a 15/16" master cylinder, however the Maxima mastersย  have horizontal bolt mountings and won't fit most Datsuns.

ย 

iu2VvTA.jpg

Oh no I meant my l20b A10(510) datsun ๐Ÿ˜… nice! I'll have to customize mine now! ๐Ÿ™Œ yeah i noticed these brakes are pretty big,it even has disc brales in the rear. They are stock mags! Definitely will re-use! I'll look into brake setups definitely since the one on here now is all seized and rusted ๐Ÿ˜… this thing was full of a bunch of spare parts too,2 exyra diesel pumps,and extra starter and alternator,it even had two brand new oil filters from wayyyy back inside the trunk. I'll post more pictures of it tomorrow in daylight for you guys ๐Ÿ™‚

10 hours ago, ZeroTwo510 said:

ย  with 5 speed FS5W71B ๐Ÿ˜Ž,gonna pull the 5 speed and slap it in my A10. Will my 3 speed auto bolt onto this behemoth?ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

7 hours ago, ZeroTwo510 said:

Oh no I meant my l20b A10(510) datsun ๐Ÿ˜… nice!ย 

ย 

ย 

To be clear the Maxima transmission has an SD diesel bolt pattern with the starter on the left or driver's side so this won't work on any of the other L series engines. Likewise the L series automatic won't work on the diesel. Hang onto the transmission though.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, datzenmike said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

To be clear the Maxima transmission has an SD diesel bolt pattern with the starter on the left or driver's side so this won't work on any of the other L series engines. Likewise the L series automatic won't work on the diesel. Hang onto the transmission though.

ย 

I had the chance to pull out the transmission today and I think it will fit,not sure if maybe the previous owner swapped transmission since the starter was rigged to a momentary switch apart from the actual ignition switch. Here I'll show you some pictures now.

18 hours ago, datzenmike said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Here's the engine ๐Ÿ™‚

20190411_13514620190411_13522320190411_16193520190411_165709

ย 

• Like 1

On the other hand the front main bearing was broken and metal shavings were everywhere,is the front gear supposed to be tapered like that or is that the result of the broken bearing? 5 ball bearings came out when I drained it and I assume the rest turned into mush. How difficult would it be to replace this bearing? I have a shop press here so just a matter of doing it. And on the the front cover that bolts inside the bellhousing,it got damaged too and I was wonderimg if the plates off a 71c transmission areย the same? I rather replace it since I feel it will leak gear oil through here.ย 

20190411_21223220190411_21224720190411_21230120190411_21231520190411_21235120190411_21291320190411_21292320190411_21293120190411_213631

All the other gears look ok just that front one that's tapered ๐Ÿ‘Ž

• Like 1

That's definitely NOT a diesel transmission. Interesting that someone tried a right hand starter on it. Never thought of this.

ย 

The input bearing is toastestro. should look like this...

ย 

7TJEyEm.jpg

ย 

Can you take pictures of the transmission case? top and back?

• Like 1

Gahhh sorry I haven't been active in a few days,work has been busy and i haven't had a chance to tinker with the Maxima. I'll have those pictures tomorrow though ๐Ÿ‘Œ quick question,do you guys think the strut assembliesย from this maxima will bolt onto my 1978 datsun 510 coupe? I was planning on swapping s13 suspension onto this car and maybe using the brakes and struts from this car in my A10 since these brakes are vented and bigger than the stock solid brakes I have on the 510 now.

On 4/14/2019 at 11:48 PM, ArchetypeDatsun said:

Nice to see another maxima owner should be maxima owners in your area or close enough. ย I own 2 myself a 82 with a L28ET swap, 5 speed and a 84 5 speed on S13 Megan coilovers and S13 front suspension and welded diff.

ย 

Nice! Yeah i saw a bit of your build write ups they're pretty dang cool! ๐Ÿ‘ I rarely see these if at all so I wanna enjoy it as much as possible. Mines rusted good but I don't mind since I got it cheap,I want this to be a thrasher or maybe a weekend drift machine. I'll come to you if I have any questions about my build,I'll definitely need all the help I can get ๐Ÿ™‚

How bad would it be if I use a 6303 bearing instead of a 6303n bearing for the main shaft on my fs5w71b transmission? I ordered this bearing through metro Nissan and I thought the PN was correct. Main difference is the one I bought doesn't have the snap ring retainer groove. What sucks is the dealer has a final sale policy so I can't return it. Any input would help a lot.

20190420_11341220190420_114709

ย 

Also is there any difference between the fs5w71b and fs5w71c transmission front covers? Are they interchangeable? The one on mine got damaged to the point where you can see daylight through it. I can easily find aย fs5w71c front cover at my local junkyard but I can't say the same for the fs5w71b cover.

20190411_212913

ย 

B and C do not interchange if i recall.ย  I was trying to answer that same question a couple month's ago.ย  I looked up the cover plates and they have different bolt patterns, iirc.

On 4/20/2019 at 4:21 PM, ZeroTwo510 said:

How bad would it be if I use a 6303 bearing instead of a 6303n bearing for the main shaft on my fs5w71b transmission? I ordered this bearing through metro Nissan and I thought the PN was correct. Main difference is the one I bought doesn't have the snap ring retainer groove. What sucks is the dealer has a final sale policy so I can't return it. Any input would help a lot.

20190420_11341220190420_114709

ย 

I dont remember why the snap ring is there, but I would think you want it....

All the 6303 bearings are basically the same dimensionally, the letters after refer to other features... like being open, sealed or having the snap ring...

6303nr actually has the snap ring.... I'm not sure what the factory part number is.....

Update:

ย So I ended up trading my LD28 engine and miscellaneous diesel items for a L28,4 speed trans,SU carb setup,front sump pan and dizzy,pretty much everything to convert to gas. Since it's registered as diesel it's smog exempt here in California and this car is a beater ,I want itย to be super stupid simple to fix and drive. It's pretty much a bolt in process too just need the time to do the swap.ย The most difficult task for me is modifying or buying a front sump pick up tube to work on the L28 engine and stock tube location. I was thinking of maybe cutting the original pick up tube and brazing a flexible copperย extension tube so it extends forward down into the sump but not sure how that would hold up long term. If anyone has done this type of mod any advice would be appreciated. Also the l28 head and block I traded for are N42 matching,any benefits or trade offs with this set up?ย 

• Like 1
On 5/2/2019 at 6:03 AM, datzenmike said:

Welded steel tube woth a support bracee to one of the main caps, NOT brazed copper.

ย 

Something like this...

xONqFaA.jpg

Found a local fabricator to extend and weld my old pick up tube,I'll post results once I get it back in my hands ๐Ÿ™‚ One thing I'm having trouble with is finding a replacement radiator at auto parts stores,most places can't order it anymore,is there a bolt in replacement that would fit off another car? I plan on going to the junkyard and finding one cheap but just need help narrowing down what cars to look for.

• Like 1

Pretty sure you can use a Z car aftermarket aluminum radiator I know other have done it. ย If you got Facebook there is a 810 & 910 maxima page, pretty sure there is a couple guys in your area.ย 

ย 

The he cranks off the LD28 are worth quite a bit to the Z car guys inly thing is you would have had to get the crank inspected to make sure it was straight and cleaned up. ย Rebello buys the Diesel blocks for $300 he uses them as strokers as well for 3.5L.

• Like 1
On 5/3/2019 at 5:47 PM, ArchetypeDatsun said:

Pretty sure you can use a Z car aftermarket aluminum radiator I know other have done it. ย If you got Facebook there is a 810 & 910 maxima page, pretty sure there is a couple guys in your area.ย 

ย 

The he cranks off the LD28 are worth quite a bit to the Z car guys inly thing is you would have had to get the crank inspected to make sure it was straight and cleaned up. ย Rebello buys the Diesel blocks for $300 he uses them as strokers as well for 3.5L.

I've been lookimg at those and you're right it seems they would fit with minimal issue ๐Ÿ˜ฎ i have my original one but I think it leaks,I think out of curiosity I'll ask a local radiator repair shop how much they charge to clean and seal my old one. I sent my gas tank off my 510 to these guys and they did a pretty good job cleaning it of rust and sealing it. I'll check it out definitely,I've run into a few already ๐Ÿ™‚ I really had planned to sell my LD28 and even posted it for sale on CL and Offer Up,i had a few serious responses but at the end of the day i need this car running fast and luckily i found a cool guy that had an engine for trade that'll bolt inย no problem. But easily I got an offers of around $850 for my LD28.

Also update on my oil pick up tube for my front sump pan,i got it back from the welder extended and although it doesn't look the greatest it'll work. Modified my pan a bit too so there would be no interference with fitment. The pan is a diesel pan (has the feed in outlet on the side),not sure what car or equipment it came from but it'll clear my crossmember definitely.

20190505_21321820190505_21295220190505_213021

ย