Oil catch can

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you? The L20B's PCV system takes care of it.

Yes they have been but you only need to if valve cover hose  has no way to get to the carburetor air filter (even the 32/36 has a provision for this) or the PCV has been removed which is a very bad idea, or you have EXTREME blow by.

Here's what will happen...

All engines produce water vapor and some trace amounts of oil vapor or the odd droplet. Now normally this is sucked out of the crankcase by the PCV through the block vent on the driver's side being replaced by filtered air from the air filter into the valve cover, but under heavy throttle, sometimes there is more blow-by than it can handled and it reverses flow. The vapors travel out the valve cover hose and into the carb where they are burned in the engine. Enter the 'catch can', which collects weeks worth of water and oil vapor and it looks impressive and you think wow I'm really saving my engine from this stuff. The reality is, that all engines burn this stuff and have been since '62 and are absolutely fine doing so. So now you have a cup of oily water so what do you do with it? Do you recycle it responsibly? Can you recycle it?? Do you even want to deal with this? Probably it will end up thrown into the environment somewhere out of sight. Catch cans are not needed and just make a fucking mess out of nothing at all.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mike is right as far as the reasoning behind not to use a catch can in your instance, but if you do regular oil changes / maintenance at your place you can easily dispose of the excess by pouring it into one of your hazardous waste containers for oil / antifreeze ect. Mike is also right that you shouldn't be disposing of this stuff by just dumping it out, you should be checking with your local city to when they do hazardous waste collections. Mine does it at least every 6 months. 

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Lonewolf1990 said:

I got a mishimoto catch can through a trade 

Dude mount it if you want. Send the valve cover and case breather there. Run the lines clean. It’s up to you. I just got a 1300 valve cover so no more vent on valve cover. You don’t need it anyway. As far as case I have just run a k and n air cleaner on it. It’s up to you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes do as you like but if you send both vents there you will be disabling the PCV and your oil will get contaminated/dirtier sooner. Plus producing messy waste that's not necessary, and for no good reason. Datsun street cars simply don't need them and never have. If they did they would have come with them. There is virtually no maintenance with a proper PCV valve system. Why make work, a mess and have to change your oil more often???? Catch cans are often used on a dedicated 'race only car' to keep oil off the track from an exploded engine.  Just like strut braces, torque straps, spoilers and hood pins, a catch can does not make a car, a race car. Don't be that guy. 

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Yes do as you like but if you send both vents there you will be disabling the PCV and your oil will get contaminated/dirtier sooner. Plus producing messy waste that's not necessary, and for no good reason. Datsun street cars simply don't need them and never have. If they did they would have come with them. There is virtually no maintenance with a proper PCV valve system. Why make work, a mess and have to change your oil more often???? Catch cans are often used on a dedicated 'race only car' to keep oil off the track from an exploded engine.  Just like strut braces, torque straps, spoilers and hood pins, a catch can does not make a car, a race car. Don't be that guy. 

So why can't you run the hose after the pcv valve mike ?  Emissions is one thing and I agree if it's. a stock engine I would just leave it but if he makes him feel good and feel faster what's wrong with that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well of course, there's nothing wrong with feeling good and faster, but it's even better when you really are good and faster. If you place a catch can on the hose from the valve cover to the air filter, most of the time it will run just like it's supposed to. But the odd time under heavy load, excessive blow-by will reverse the flow out the valve cover hose. Now, why collect this crap when it's normally piped into the carb intake, mixed with gas and air and burned??? Where's the feel good advantage to making this mess that was never there before? There are, however, lots of things that really would contribute to being faster and running better that you could feel good about.

• Like 1

Unless you're boosted there's no need. Just do what Mike said and run the stock system. If you have a motor that wasn't boosted from the factory you have to deal with this problem as the stock system can't deal with positive pressure in the intake from the turbo. For my car I'm running a pulley driven vacuum pump and dumping to a catch can.

Edited by Josh K.
  • Like 1

Ha ha. Another saved from the dark side. I am heartened, and begin my fight anew against strut braces, poly bushings, fender rolling, hood pins and adjustable coil overs.... and those little blue filters on valve covers..

50 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Ha ha. Another saved from the dark side. I am heartened, and begin my fight anew against strut braces, poly bushings, fender rolling, hood pins and adjustable coil overs.... and those little blue filters on valve covers..

Ooo I’m doing coil overs my ride is to bumpy 

• Like 1

It's all good. I don't think many cars came from the factory with pins. My Dart did. I really wanted a '69 but THAT didn't happen. When the '70 model came out I thought it was kind of.. over the top... with big hood scoops and pins, blacked out hood, but I could see that if I didn't get one I never would. Missing the muscle car era would have been a tragedy.   

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

You're not going to include the Fram oil filter in that fight ?  And what's wrong with adjustable coilovers ?

• Like 2

No, they actually work in their own poor quality, poorly made way. Adjustable coil overs?

They're like paying for a Corvette and then only idling it in the driveway. If you're only going to do that then just get coil overs. Has anyone, who does not actually race their car, ever re-adjusted their coil overs once a week? how about more than once a month? how about last year? ever? That much money tied up in something that isn't used is a fashion statement. Like a Corvette.

Well shit,i thought an adjustable coil over was for getting a certain ride height when you don't have other options for an old car.And to think i wasted almost 200 bucks for springs and perches that fit each other properly.I could have just cut my springs.

• Like 1

They are ideal if fast adjusting at the track for different road conditions and tires is needed. But on the street, once adjusted, they are simply money tied up going along for the ride. Expensive ones are 4-5 times that, or more. They are jewelry for your car, a fashion statement.

There are always other options.