75 Datsun l20b 4 speed

Is it possible to convert the transmission set up into a 5 speed with a couple of extra parts? Or does one just pop 1k for a 5 speed trans?! Thank you for your time.oh yeah! And would I need a specific ignition coil for my stock l20b?

on Instagram as # genjikijeromasamuneluna 🙏

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

buy a stock coil for a 75 Datsun as I assume its a point distributor and has a ballast resistor. So order specifc for that year. If what works now already just call it good.coil will work or it don't.If no spark try looking at your points or condensor or grounding issue. Or shaft wear(dist shaft wiggles)

As for a 1k$ trans why even bother. Its a Datsun.

no you cant convert a 4 speed trans to a 5th speed. You need to get a 5 speed trans and mod it maybe

If your 1975 Datsun is capable of using a long tail transmission, then you can get a 280Z, 280ZX, or 620 truck 5-speed transmission. Depending on where you get it, they may cost $200-$400 plus shipping if not local to you.

There are also other options. Hang on to your 4-speed and the bellhousing can be swapped onto the 5-speed from a early 80's 720 truck.

21 hours ago, Kijero said:

Is it possible to convert the transmission set up into a 5 speed with a couple of extra parts? Or does one just pop 1k for a 5 speed trans?! Thank you for your time.oh yeah! And would I need a specific ignition coil for my stock l20b?

on Instagram as # genjikijeromasamuneluna 🙏

There's no advantage to a five speed if all you do is drive in town, you won't use it enough. They don't go faster on the highway but they may save you some gas

No, not possible to convert a 4 speed to a 5 speed.

Five speeds are not $1,000.

As mentioned, L series 5 speeds that will literally 'drop into' your '75 were optional* or standard equipment on the following...

'77-78 280z*

'79-'83 280zx*(non turbo)

'78-'84 810/Maxima

'77-'79 620*

'80 720* 2wd

Change the coil when it quits working. There's no advantage to an after market coil, they just fry the points faster.

I always assumed it would be long (31.5") but there are 26" transmissions only used on the 720. Again I assume only with the later Nov '83 and up with the Z24 engine, and on King cab? I pulled a shorty 4x4 5 speeds from a KC. I don't know.

Safe to say all 71B 4 speeds and 5 speeds before '80 are 31.5".

All car 71B 4 and 5 speeds after '80 are 31.5" long.

720 5 speed truck transmissions can be 31.5" or 26"

720 4 speeds are all long 31.5

• 4 months later...

I have a 5 speed trans from a Z car that I got in a trade. How do I tell what model transmission it is? I have a 78 620 standard cab and would love to swap out for my 4 spd.

also, I assume there may be a spline difference in the clutch disc?

33 minutes ago, rAudiOne said:

I have a 5 speed trans from a Z car that I got in a trade. How do I tell what model transmission it is? I have a 78 620 standard cab and would love to swap out for my 4 spd.

Pretty sure all those are the 71b series 4 or 5... 5spd should bolt right in ..... just measure the length as Mike said, should both be around 31.5 long...

9 hours ago, rAudiOne said:

L series transmissions 4 and 6 cylinder... F4W63, F4W63L, FS5W63A, F4W71A, F4W71B, FS5W71B, FS5R90A  all the same input spline.

280z or 280zx??? Mid ratio if 280z or the first year ('79) 280zx, '80-'83 280zx are close ratio. You can narrow this down by placing in first and marking the input and output splines. Have someone count the output turns while you turn the input 20 times.

5.5 turns is a wide ratio (not likely if a z car 5 speed)

6 turns is a mid ratio and has a 13.6% overdrive 5th.

6.5 turns is a close ratio and has a 25.5% over drive 5th..

The close ratio should be no problem in a tuck with 4.375 differential.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...