Street Edge spindle help

ThatRandomeGuy

On 4/4/2019 at 6:37 PM, datzenmike said:

Not following.

You bought drop spindles to lower your ride height?

So what's not clearing, brake calipers drop with the spindle.

Mike on a drop spindle the spindle in this case raises up 2" on the knuckle to provide the 2" ride height drop.  This in turn raises the wheel up closer to the lower control arm and lower ball joint.

On my 66 520 I can run the 1978/79 stock steel 620 wheels on the drop spindles with the lower control arm mod and 1/4" wheel spacers.  But this combination only provides me with 1/8" to 3/16 inch clearance with the the lower ball joint.  Now I could grind some of the ball joint to get more clearance but I am not comfortable with grinding on my new Moog lower ball joints.  This is not enough clearance for my liking so I chose to run 1998 to 2002 16" x 7" Isuzu Trooper LS wheels.

DSC02837.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I failed to mention that I went ahead and replaced my outer tie rods while I had the front end apart to put on my spindles (had them left over from when I hit the ditch and had to replace everything, alignment shop said I didn't need to replace) so I got them cut to length and went to install them and put a hole in the greaseboot on the driver's side tie rod. Should I put the old tie rod ends back on til I can get new ones? The truck is at my sister's house getting ready for paint right now so it will be sometime this week before I can get up under it again (spring break woo hoo!!)

• Like 1

This is the consequence of lowering. Your suspension moves the same distance over bumps and dips but now you are closer to the road and bottoming is a real threat to the underside of your truck. Stiffening the springs will reduce the travel but that's a lot of work. Moderate stiffening improves the handling on top of the lowering of the center of gravity. Hard to find torsion bars in the spring rate you want, indeed finding any torsion bar is difficult. You might look at removing them and installing a coil over the shock. They are usually adjustable for fine tuning the height. The rears can have a leaf added.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

okay so i went ahead and raised it back up.. couldn't find the time to get all the cutting done cuz it was having paint and body done and got the toe as straight as we could with a tape measure.. forget the measurements but i've still got to change 4 tires, check all my fluids, tighten everything down and maybe even tint the windows!

https://imgur.com/x6S34p8

still cant figure out how to post pictures, i'm on the school computer 🤣, but this is how its turned out so far. not a show truck but i'm happy with it

• Like 1

15s theoretically will work, but you will have to try the actual wheel to be sure.  It depend on the design (shape) and the offset. Check on both side as on my 80 chassis there is a 16th of an inch difference from side to side.

• 2 weeks later...