Pot Metal Repair

Hey guys & gals. 

I wanted to share a couple videos of a project that I did for our 510 board moderator, James. He had a set of #potmetal bluebird taillamp bezels that needed a little welding... Here's the pre-repair video:

I will be starting on a few sets of Qtr glass latches as they tend to break often... Mine won't break. 👍🇺🇲💪

• Like 4
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I am curious about something Potmetalwelder, I have platers(chrome platers) that have told me every time that if there are these black spots/pits on my metal that they cannot be plated as the chrome will not stick to the black spots/pits, are they just lazy and don't want to do the work?

They say/tell me it is a cancer in the metal, I have no idea what to believe anymore, I have to this day never found a good plater for my old Datsun parts.

Edited by wayno
6 hours ago, wayno said:

I am curious about something Potmetalwelder, I have platers(chrome platers) that have told me every time that if there are these black spots/pits on my metal that they cannot be plated as the chrome will not stick to the black spots/pits, are they just lazy and don't want to do the work?

They say/tell me it is a cancer in the metal, I have no idea what to believe anymore, I have to this day never found a good plater for my old Datsun parts.

Hey Wayno. 

A lot of platers will nolonger bothet with Potmetal parts. Because Good pot metal classic parts are becoming very scares amd and pretty much all that's left are parts with pits, broken etc. which are bug problems for chrome shops with regard to their method of repair (soft solder over copper). Bottom line, they just don't want to get involved. 

The dark spots are corroding metal (dead metal) those must be spot ground out and filled. And big holes, missing metal are an impossible task for platers. However that's not the case with welding. Pits, Holes, missing metal broken parts are no problem. Dead pot metal is simply replaced with clean pure zamac (pot metal) Maki ng the part(s) easily replatible. 

Anyhow, I hope this sheds some light on replating old pot metal..? 

Please feel free to contact me directly via DM, email, text message or a call at 7076215052. 

Regards,

James Ruther 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 7:32 AM, Potmetalwelder said:

Brazing pot metal never works. You'll end up destroying the piece. 

It's easy to turn it into a puddle, came close a few times.

Decided not to risk it on the delicate/small pieces.

attempting a repair on water outlet next.

3 hours ago, hang_510 said:

It's easy to turn it into a puddle, came close a few times.

Decided not to risk it on the delicate/small pieces.

attempting a repair on water outlet next.

I did a temporary repair on a thermostat outlet once.  It was almost but not completely rotted at the outlet.  I bought a section of copper pipe the same OD as the gooseneck ID [Aluminized steel conduit would have been better] and cut to length, inserted the pipe sharp cut end first after generously slathering sealant on the remaining piece of the original outlet.  A good hammer on a piece of wood to protect the copper and the seal was made.  Fill in the missing pot metal with Aluminum filled epoxy, let it cure [boy does it get hot] and file to shape.  Then go looking for a real replacement for my RL411.  A KIA SEPHIA unit fit just right and I am still using it.  Even looks like the original.