My First Datsun - Lola

JDM Noob

I am super excited to start this project and everyone will be happy to know that a truck this forum has seen before, it shall see again. This weekend, I had the honor of going north and meeting @willz, a senior member of Ratsun, from whom I purchased Lola, an orange 1978 Datsun 620. I can't wait to get started on this project, and I hope Will approves of the changes Lola will receive in the months to come.

@PDX.620 on Instagram for more frequent updates!

Lola Leaving Her Old Home:

scNUyoG.jpg

0iCQyZz.jpg

Lola Arriving at Her New Home:

BWCBNVI.jpg

4VjMafb.jpg

r4ly9Jz.jpg

Edited by JDM Noob
Adding Instagram @
  • Like 2
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I thought that truck looked familiar.... i had the pleasure of chatting with willz about that truck alot... definitely a good guy.... looks like you doing the motor swap he always wanted.... 

Goodluck with it .....

Thank you! I will be putting a different motor in it, thought not a small block chevy like he had in mind. And yes he was a wealth of knowledge and a pleasure to talk to.

• Like 1

This weeks progress was mostly rust work and I grabbed some Rustoleum Automotive Primer to spray over the newly cleaned metal, and working on sourcing a KA and 5 speed(If you or someone you know is selling a KA/5 Speed send me a PM).

Pics:

83ETwkq.jpgfyxLKN1.jpgKI7O1JP.jpgYGGO4h2.jpg

Also if anyone has any idea of how to get some metal behind these holes in the door panel, I'm open to suggestions.

NwGK98f.jpg

10 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

Good to see Willz's ride here!

Mucho progress, that looks good!

What kind of shop is that??? Looks like you built a wall in your living room...

Thanks! And It’s a car bay we just built into our existing pole barn. Getting sheet rocked next week and then it won’t look so out of place. It was intended as more of a storage location but I’m making-do. 

• Like 1

Looking for some advice from experienced members on this one. I have a lead on a ka24e with trans and ecu for $250 but it’s sohc and needs a new clutch, should I hold off and wait for a de that comes with a it’s wiring harness? All advice welcome!

• Like 1

The single is a lot easier to fit, the de has a bigger head. $250 is a pretty good deal and you can always swap to a de later if you want. :)

The 240 single cam can also be easily converted to rear sump as well. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

The single is a lot easier to fit, the de has a bigger head. $250 is a pretty good deal and you can always swap to a de later if you want. 🙂

The 240 single cam can also be easily converted to rear sump as well. 

Fair points, i will probably take it then. How is pricing for a new clutch and a wiring harness? Is it cost prohibitive to just do the de swap before I swap it?

• Like 1

What is the single cam out of?

As far as the clutch, I recommend a D21 flywheel and clutch setup (essential the 'white rabbit' clutch) It will work on your when you find one so that would be a net cost. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Farmer said:

As for kae or de. 

Kae, best for natural aspirated builds

De, best for forced induction builds.

I plan on it being turbo before it’s first start up, though I suppose I am not in a hurry for completion (I want to make it to canby, it’s 15 minutes from me). 

5 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

What is the single cam out of?

As far as the clutch, I recommend a D21 flywheel and clutch setup (essential the 'white rabbit' clutch) It will work on your when you find one so that would be a net cost. 

It’s out of a 1990 240sx. 

• Like 1

After doing some research, it seems that boosting the sohc KA24 is a huge pain in the ass and especially if I want to hit my goal of 350(ish) whp. And the conversion to dohc doesn’t seem like a great idea for the long-term. I suppose I will continue to look for a KA24DE. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, JDM Noob said:

I plan on it being turbo before it’s first start up, though I suppose I am not in a hurry for completion (I want to make it to canby, it’s 15 minutes from me). 

It’s out of a 1990 240sx. 

Always best to get a full package; engine, trans, ecu and wiring. Even better if you can also get the cooling system and driveshaft. 

You may not need all the extra stuff, but you don't know what you can use unless you have it there.  :)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Always best to get a full package; engine, trans, ecu and wiring. Even better if you can also get the cooling system and driveshaft. 

You may not need all the extra stuff, but you don't know what you can use unless you have it there.  🙂

This or a whole donor vehicle even better, then you can fire the motor and make sure all good.... even if the vehicle Isnt driveable...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

You may not need all the extra stuff, but you don't know what you can use unless you have it there.  🙂

Fair enough, I’m looking at a full package minus cooling and driveshaft from someone local for $800 and I am hoping to go to a one-piece driveshaft anyway, so I’m not terribly bothered about that. I believe that engine is still in the vehicle it will be coming out of, so proof of running shouldn’t be hard to get. 

• Like 3