Hypothetical turbo questions

Thinking of putting a little turbo on the car, it isn't able to get enough air in with the weber so giving it more gas makes it a lot louder but no faster past a certain point. I had a few questions before i started;

What is a good little turbo to look for that would be easy to find in a junkyard or something, and that could get jimmywhacked onto an a14?

And i know turbos need intercoolers, but ive got an unnecessarily large radiator, would it be possible to drill some holes halfway down it for the turbo?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 23/36 is just slightly too large for an A series so the best cheapest easiest up grade is a cam that can make use of it. 

Turbos do not necessarily need an inter cooler.You can't use your rad for this. I think you'd better do some research about it. Find a copy of Maximum Boost by Corky Bell and read it front to back then read it again naked. I guarantee you will say 'Wow WTF was I thinking'

An intercooler is not to cool the turbo.  An intercooler cools the air that was already compressed by the turbo (compressing air makes it hotter, regardless of other heat sources).  Turbos are generally cooled by engine coolant or oil, which is either cooled by the engine's normal cooling system or the addition of an oil cooler.

2 hours ago, Dirtyowlnumber4 said:

Where can you look for a better cam? I remember someone saying something about it somewhere but don't remember where.. sounded expensive

My other idea is to saw a hole in the bonnet above the intake to get some cool air on it

Sounds expensive? Try installing a turbo even if free. 

READ....

https://www.amazon.ca/Maximum-Boost-Designing-Installing-Turbocharger

51WDFpv9S9L._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

$39 will save you $3,900.

One mod that the A series motors really enjoy is to enlarge the plenum under the carb. You can start by simply removing the divider between the two "barrels" where the carb mounts to the intake. Then bolt the DGV adapter up and blend everything together with a die grinder.

I took mine a step further and cut out the middle of the intake (using a mill) and then welded in the plenum portion of a 240Z DGV adapter. This just about doubled the plenum size, and as a bonus, it had the DGV bolt pattern, so no adapter was needed.