• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

That is rad!

Thanks! I was able to get a little further along with it last night...

large.IMG_20200202_195300_335.jpg.e7438f

I'm thinking it needs a pickguard though? I'm thinking make one from a thin sheet of the same pine, then burned and stained as well. Although possibly in a slight darker (or lighter) shade to show some contrast? 

It will be pretty basic, one pickup, just a single volume control, and I'm using a strat-style input jack plate, hidden on the back side. This will allow me to have no control cavity as the input jack and volume pot can share the same space. 

• Like 1

I had a non-trussrod pine Tele that we modeled from one of the early prototypes that George Fullerton had brought in.  The thing weighed about 4 pounds, and sounded fantastic by itself.  When I played it live, it totally got lost in a band setting.  I don't remember his name, but Alan Jackson's guitar player bought it from me.  

MY blue Tele that matched my '55 Caddie is also a non-trussrod Tele.  It sounds fantastic.

cadtele.jpg

• Like 3

Since the burnt Telecaster is done, I decided to try and tackle the stain on the offset Tele (mahogany base, maple top)...

large.IMG_20200207_184835_779.jpg.4eec7a

It'll look a bit different once the lacquer goes on...

This was a 4 step process starting with staining it a reddish brown all over, then sanded back a large chunk of the middle, then stained red all over, then sanded back a smaller part of the middle, then stained orange all over, then sanded back just the very center and did yellow all over. Done correctly this usually yields a nice transition effect to the colors. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Since the burnt Telecaster is done, I decided to try and tackle the stain on the offset Tele (mahogany base, maple top)...

large.IMG_20200207_184835_779.jpg.4eec7a

Thoughts?

It looks good from here.  It looks like it might have got too much sanded off behind the rear pickup, but I suspect it's probably just lighting.  If not, the bridge will probably cover it, too.  Pickup routes will be fine.  I've seen them done with a chisel before 🙂

That will be nice looking when the gloss is on it..

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Duncan said:

It looks good from here.  It looks like it might have got too much sanded off behind the rear pickup, but I suspect it's probably just lighting.  I

And yes, that middle bit and the lower horn are picking up too much light from the overhead florescents. 😁

• Like 1

I routed out a few door hinge pockets this week on solid wood doors.  Thats almost as cool as what you are doing.....  Ok so I'm just trying to make myself seem cool.

Guitars look awesome.  I love the burned stained shou sugi ban kinda thing.  Currently considering it as a finish for those wood doors i mentioned.

Loving the faker emblems 👍

1 hour ago, Lockleaf said:

I routed out a few door hinge pockets this week on solid wood doors. 

That sounds good to me. Always wanted to do some proper carpentry type stuff like that...

I love the burned stained shou sugi ban kinda thing.  Currently considering it as a finish for those wood doors i mentioned.

Yeah, I'm definitely doing more of those. Need to find a source for higher grade (and thicker) pine though. This one is a little on the thin side at 1.5", but it's crazy light weight and very comfy to play...

Loving the faker emblems 👍

Thanks! I have been going back and forth on whether I want to stick with that name or just put my name on them. I like the punny name, but not sure if it would turn off prospective buyers. Thoughts?