Hello Everyone. My name is James Ruther, I invited by one of your moderators who's name is also James. 

Recently, my son had purchased a '69 2D 510 from him and while we were gathering up the parts the subject of broken potmetal came up. 

He mentioned that the Qtr glass latches are potmetal and break often. I replied, "that's not a, problem. I weld potmetal for a living." Long story short, he gave me a couple bluebird taillamp housings to repair for him. I have these posted on instagram, but out of respect for the forum, I am not posting any links. However if you would like to see them, just do an, instagram search fo invited by an administrator for "Potmetalrepair". I'll be sure to find me. Anyhow I look forward to talking and with ya'll. Have a great day!

James Ruther - 

The Pot Metal Welder 

• Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to Ratsun

James is a great guy and glad to see your making your way around here 

welding potmetal is a specialty for sure and im sure some people around here could use your services 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Ranman72 said:

welcome to Ratsun

James is a great guy and glad to see your making your way around here 

welding potmetal is a specialty for sure and im sure some people around here could use your services 

Thanks James. Very much appreciate the welcome. Btw, your tail-lamp bezels will done later today.,👍

29 minutes ago, hobbes_the_cat said:

I think they are some kind of thin cheap metal because I have seen them rust before. Had one that rusted all they way through. 

It's probably 304 stainless which has a low nickel % and will somewhat rust depending on whether conditions. 

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, hobbes_the_cat said:

I think they are some kind of thin cheap metal because I have seen them rust before. Had one that rusted all they way through. 

... I just had a closer look - rather than stainless, it looks like cheap plating which makes more since.. 

• Like 1