Rusty gate

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a pic of my 320 taken not long after I acquired it five years ago:

Nose-WO-Crank.jpg

The rings on my pickup continue the line of the top profile of the fender out beyond the inner chrome ring that secures the headlamp bulb, with the inner ring appearing to be 1/4" or so rearward of the foremost rim or the outer headlight ring. In profile view the wagon looks more rounded off from where it mates to the headlight bucket mount surface to where it catches up to the inner lamp securing ring.

The chrome rings on my pickup and most that I've seen on internet form a small hood over the top of the bulb. The rings on the wagon look to me like they leave the top of the inner headlamp bulb retaining ring and head up and straight to the back viewed in profile. Maybe it's just my ancient eyes.

Edited by difrangia
  • Like 1

So what you are saying is if the headlights are eyes, the wagons eyes are bulging/popping out while are trucks have a brow/visor over the top of them.

I guess looking at the photo I posted the headlight rings look more like 1947-53 Chevy truck headlight rings than like Datsun NL/L320 rings.

• Like 2

Wayno & Brian,

That's what I'm seeing. Wayno, you're right about the Chevy pickup light rims. My dad had a dozen of those 47-53 chevy pickups over the years when I was growing up, and the wagon rings do look somewhat like those. I'm sure that some other 7" headlight rings would fit or could be modded to fit without a lot of trouble if originals were not available or someone liked the rounded more streamlined look. It just jumped out at me from your pic of the wagon.

Edited by difrangia
  • Like 1

Wayno, middle pickup is a pre-320 model; right?

Reason that I even brought the headlight rings up is to see if someone would jump in as having seen other late 320's with the streamlined rings. Next question was can the serial # for the wagon with the streamlined rings be determined to be an 'end of production' sample off the production line (it does appear to be a 65). What I'd be getting at is whether at the end of production did possibly Nissan run out of the regular rings and have to sub in rings from another 7" diameter headlight car to finish up end of model cars. 

I can't seem to refrain from quizzing the occurance of anomalies of vehicle and other mechanical devices, in particular in the start-up or end of production of a model. Guess it's just a quirk picked up working in manufacturing jobs over a career. 

• Like 1

I never even noticed what model it was, just looked at the headlight rings, I now see it has exterior hinges so it might be an early pre-320 vehicle like you mentioned.

I just took a 47-53 Chevy truck headlight ring out to my 63 L320 and the ring appears to be too big around on the outside, it sticks out more than an 1/8th inch all the way around.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Considering that the car in question also has chrome smoothies on it, I would bet the rings are simply from an MGB or a Rover.

Which begs the question--would MGB or Rover headlight gaskets fit stock 320 rings? I was planning on buying rubber stock and cutting all new stuff but I'd love not to have to.

• Like 1

The Lucas headlights, buckets and trim rings were used in many different cars and trucks from the 50's all the way through the 70's. Ranging from Sunbeam Alpine/Tiger, Morris, Mini, Austin Healey, MG, Land Rover, even the AC Cobra used the same assembly. Considering the link between Datsun/Nissan and Lucas, smart money says the entire assembly is interchangeable with an early Datsun.

• Like 2