V320

Rusty gate

Still that is a lot of money for a non-running car that likely everything important will have to be replaced or rebuilt, brake lines, brakes, gas lines, carby, if it is all there then you have won most the battle, I believe it was Lisa that found a U320 out in a field doesn't have a set of taillights, they are very hard to find and expensive, especially the type you have, do not mess with the ones you have unless you have to, if they need re-chromed/plated pay extra to make sure they do them right/know how to do them right/have worked with the pot metal they are made out of before, do not take any chances with them unless you have another set in reserve.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 2
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, wayno said:

Still that is a lot of money for a non-running car that likely everything important will have to be replaced or rebuilt, brake lines, brakes, gas lines, carby, if it is all there then you have won most the battle, I believe it was Lisa that found a U320 out in a field doesn't have a set of taillights, they are very hard to find and expensive, especially the type you have, do not mess with the ones you have unless you have to, if they need re-chromed/plated pay extra to make sure they do them right/know how to do them right/have worked with the pot metal they are made out of before, do not take any chances with them unless you have another set in reserve.

Even if you find or have a set of broken bezels, they are no problem to fix. However, whatever you do, do not use muggyweld.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, wayno said:

do not throw away anything, 

Greatest advice ever. You can sometimes re-purpose an old part or use to fix something else or even give away. Maybe some lucky owner will find it while rummaging through your estate sale..

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Potmetalwelder said:

Even if you find or have a set of broken bezels, they are no problem to fix. However, whatever you do, do not use muggyweld.

I have not had good experiences with platers/chrome platers, I give them my parts telling them if you can not make them better tell me now because I cannot replace these parts and they take them anyway and then I have to call them way later asking about my parts and they say they cannot be plated after they have stripped them, then we go back and forth for months with me saying I told them I said "I could not replace these parts before I gave them too you and I asked you if you could make them better", these were freshly re-chromed parts I gave her that didn't turn out very well, in the end they plated them and they were slightly better than what I gave them, but she wanted to give me back my stripped parts and wash her hands of it.

This is the photo I got from them, they didn't want to even do this.

SAM-5592.jpg

By no means are these parts as good as they look in this photo, one of the divider pieces is missing metal and one of the bezels has 2 huge bubbles in it, both have dimples here and there in them, I have well over $2000.00 into this set to date, but they look decent on the truck.

DSCN3378.jpg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, wayno said:

I have not had good experiences with platers/chrome platers, I give them my parts telling them if you can not make them better tell me now because I cannot replace these parts and they take them anyway and then I have to call them way later asking about my parts and they say they cannot be plated after they have stripped them, then we go back and forth for months with me saying I told them I said "I could not replace these parts before I gave them too you and I asked you if you could make them better", these were freshly re-chromed parts I gave her that didn't turn out very well, in the end they plated them and they were slightly better than what I gave them, but she wanted to give me back my stripped parts and wash her hands of it.

This is the photo I got from them, they didn't want to even do this.

SAM-5592.jpg

By no means are these parts as good as they look in this photo, one of the divider pieces is missing metal and one of the bezels has 2 huge bubbles in it, both have dimples here and there in them, I have well over $2000.00 into this set to date, but they look decent on the truck.

DSCN3378.jpg

Brother, I'm sorry to hear that. But you spent way, way too much on the plating for those parts. A good chrome shop would have whipped those out with no problem. And if you have bubbles in the chrome, most likely they used muggyweld or some other low temp solder to fill. Wish I could have been here for you beforehand... 

• Like 2

That set of taillight bezels has been plated twice without good results at 2 different places, between them 2 times and the cost of buying them and having them shipped to me from Australia I have a shitload of money into them.

I also have a lot of money into 320 hubcaps and they are steel, but they get these black pits in them and no plater wants to deal with them.

• Like 1

I have no idea, one guy described it as cancer to me, all I know is I have 4 other 320 hubcaps that are not in the greatest shape and I don't want to put another $1000.00 into them with dubious results.

3 minutes ago, 320 Newb said:

I was planning on having my 320 hubcaps re-plated in the next couple months. Any idea what causes the black pits? Any way I can avoid it?

I was more into warning the guy with this V320 that if he needed to have the taillight bezels plated, make sure who he takes them to knows how to plate this pot metal and get good results.

Fact is the first guy that did the set I posted a photo of is a Ratsun member, but I have not seen him post here in a long time, but I am not on here as much as I used to be.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Remember, running and driving first. Unless you're a trained restoration tech, diving right into a full blown restoration is a sure way to make sure it never drives again.

I never turned wrenches before my 320 project... Sure I'll pull the motor out. Motor's out might as well pull the trans. Motor and trans are out why not pull off the bed and cab? It's a slippery slope hahaha. I love the process though and mine will be on the road again 100%. I'm planning on dropping the motor and trans back in next week, and the cab back over it with fresh paint the week after. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2019 at 10:37 AM, wayno said:

Not really its in Aussie dollars so I guess it around the 900$ US and considering  they are view and far between  like hens teeth I’m pretty happy with the price. But ask me again in 12 months time when the bills start pilling up lol

• Like 2

The fender was swapped as it has the wide trim which doesn't belong on a V320, I would either delete the 60hp badges or put the one back under the "datsun1200" badge where it is supposed to be.

Do you have the proper left side fender trim in there anywhere?

The proper fender trim can be found on the NL320, U320, and the V320, that wide trim and likely the whole left side fender came from a  Datsun L320 truck/ute, why the badge is where it is will likely remain a mystery.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, wayno said:

The fender was swapped as it has the wide trim which doesn't belong on a V320, I would either delete the 60hp badges or put the one back under the "datsun1200" badge where it is supposed to be.

Do you have the proper left side fender trim in there anywhere?

The proper fender trim can be found on the NL320, U320, and the V320, that wide trim and likely the whole left side fender came from a  Datsun L320 truck/ute, why the badge is where it is will likely remain a mystery.

You have a very good eye Wayne upon closer inspection you are absolutely right. 

• Like 1

3-A7-B0-B79-EC20-42-C3-9266-277-DD0-C103AB58-E9-B9-1-E05-4-E9-C-A3-F4-9-ACAE13-Fso I started seeing what I had inside the car and found most of the missing exterior parts. I now have all the hub caps and light bezels along badges and bonnet trim plus a spare dash, glove box lid and parcel shelf extra internal and external door handles. 

The only thing I can’t see is the 2 mirrors for the fenders and the base for the rear seat 

• Like 1

Looks like a hood front chrome strip in pretty good condition. If that is indeed what it is and the rest of it looks as good as the part in the photo, it's a hard to find trim item. Prone to severe rust problems.

• Like 1