1973 620 tension rod bushings

Robert Fernandez

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Urethane would be good on sway bars where compliance is not really helpful. Rubber is still the best for vibration and noise isolation and most people put urethane on their vehicles because monkey see monkey do and couldn't possibly drive their cars hard enough to know the difference. The tension rod has to flex at the bushings as the wheel moves up and down which will compress the rubber. Urethane is too stiff for this and the rod has to bend potentially leading to metal fatigue over time. The potential fix using urethane is to drill 5 or 6 holes in them which increases their compliance.

DatsunTCbroke1.jpg

I bought these on Ebay in December. Made in China and the quality of the rubber is suspect, but in much better shape then the ones on my truck.

I have not installed them because im considering a Beebani/Klotz ball joint conversion.

sbUcGVi.jpg

Search Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-PICKUP-UTILITY-UTE-620-1500-1600-72-79-TENSION-ROD-BUSH-Fit-DATSUN/173804488918?fits=Make%3ADatsun&epid=5029474117&hash=item28778e08d6:g:YdwAAOSwWiJcbg8s

I see a lot of busings listed for late 620's and 720's - im not sure if those will work because of the ball joint set up...

https://www.finditparts.com/products/404546/moog-k9218

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-bush-tension~54481-18000.html

• Like 1
On 3/28/2019 at 7:43 AM, Robert Fernandez said:

I believe you are correct that they are tension bars. No mechanics here in Ventura will align front end without the bushings.

Changed the title so the search function will find 'tension rod'

Ball joint conversion won't remove the tension rods so you'll still need them. The ball joint trucks have them.

55 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Changed the title so the search function will find 'tension rod'

Ball joint conversion won't remove the tension rods so you'll still need them. The ball joint trucks have them.

I believe Beebani1028 kit on ebay does get rid of the tension rod.....

Screenshot-20190329-132345-e-Bay.jpg

Ah didn't know. It removes the original tension rod placement and adds it on the other side just like the later 720 and D21 4x4s making it a compression rod. (tension is much better than compression which can bend or buckle) The intent of the tension rod is to complete a triangle with the frame and the lower control arm to prevent it moving towards the rear when hitting bumps and objects but mostly it stabilizes the lower control arm when the brakes are applied. The design above does not look much like a triangle to me. Even the 720 4x4 has the support brace more to the rear forming a more equilateral triangle.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

I bought these on Ebay in December. Made in China and the quality of the rubber is suspect, but in much better shape then the ones on my truck.

I have not installed them because im considering a Beebani/Klotz ball joint conversion.

sbUcGVi.jpg

Search Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-PICKUP-UTILITY-UTE-620-1500-1600-72-79-TENSION-ROD-BUSH-Fit-DATSUN/173804488918?fits=Make%3ADatsun&epid=5029474117&hash=item28778e08d6:g:YdwAAOSwWiJcbg8s

I see a lot of busings listed for late 620's and 720's - im not sure if those will work because of the ball joint set up...

https://www.finditparts.com/products/404546/moog-k9218

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-bush-tension~54481-18000.html

There are differences between tension rods bushings. 78 79 are different that 72.5 to 77

I went to the Nissan dealer, they found the old micro-fish and printed exploded diagrams for the  620 72.5 - 78, front end for me. The tension rod bushing part numbers had been replaced a couple times but, the bushing is still available in the current parts computer as a 10 piece bag of bushings for a B210 or something.

Part # 56112-W5000  BUSH-SHO 1000 

The bag of ten was $58.20. Ordered a noon, parts guy called me at 10am the next day. 

Part # 56112-W5000   is the rubber bushing isolator used on the top mount of the HL510, 210, S110 and the B110 Sentra rear shock absorbers. Looks just like the ones used on sway bars. Might interchange.

Otherwise the 620 sway bar and tension rod bushings (through '77) are the same. Used in the both places.

The '73-'79 620 sway bar rubber bushings are 56112-09400

The '73-'77 620 tension rod rubber bushings are... 56127-25660 or superseded to  56112-09400

The '78-'79 tension rod bushings are 54581-18000 and are much larger.

"Part # 56112-W5000   is the rubber bushing isolator used on the top mount of the HL510, 210, S110 and the B110 Sentra rear shock absorbers. Looks just like the ones used on sway bars. Might interchange."

Just had all the suspension and steering gone through. Replaced King Pins, all the control arm bushings, all the sway bar bushings and the Tension Rod Bushings... then aligned with the Hunter system. These stock bushings are the right application on early 620s. Look identical to the ones that came off... except they were smashed flat... hard to see how they were working as designed. 

They don't look anything like Frank Rizzo's OICS of Made in China bushing kit. They are a solid donut shape, with a little rib around the middle.

I just came across a quote sheet from NAPA, for these bushings for a Sentra, that are quality brand... $24.  Not $58 from the Nissan dealer.  

Very generally if something is 50% 60% of the dealer price it's about right and good quality. Often referred to as OEM, though almost NEVER is. As long as OEM quality. The dealer price includes a mark up so they make something from it.

15 hours ago, Figbuck said:

Just had all the suspension and steering gone through. Replaced King Pins, all the control arm bushings, all the sway bar bushings and the Tension Rod Bushings... then aligned with the Hunter system. These stock bushings are the right application on early 620s. Look identical to the ones that came off... except they were smashed flat... hard to see how they were working as designed. 

They don't look anything like Frank Rizzo's OICS of Made in China bushing kit. They are a solid donut shape, with a little rib around the middle.

What are the product numbers for the tension rods?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On March 30, 2019 at 9:06 PM, Figbuck said:

Product numbers? For the Tension Rods? I only replaced the bushings...

I went to the Nissan dealer, they found the old micro-fish and printed exploded diagrams for the  620 72.5 - 78, front end for me. The tension rod bushing part numbers had been replaced a couple times but, the bushing is still available in the current parts computer as a 10 piece bag of bushings for a B210 or something.

Part # 56112-W5000  BUSH-SHO 1000 

The bag of ten was $58.20. Ordered a noon, parts guy called me at 10am the next day. 

On April 7, 2019 at 5:45 AM, Figbuck said:

"Part # 56112-W5000   is the rubber bushing isolator used on the top mount of the HL510, 210, S110 and the B110 Sentra rear shock absorbers. Looks just like the ones used on sway bars. Might interchange."

I just came across a quote sheet from NAPA, for these bushings for a Sentra, that are quality brand... $24.  Not $58 from the Nissan dealer.  

• 1 year later...