Shift boot for 720 or interchange info and add a console?

matrophy

Working on soundproofing my 1986 base standard cab 720 pickup. I found that my shifter boot had come apart and it also has a rip in it so since most road noise is coming from the floor area, I want to replace the boot while I have the carpet removed.

I don't have a console so many of the available thinner boots won't work in my situation. 

I wouldn't mind having a console so I'm wondering if that is easy to install or will I have a conflict with the heater bits, etc?

Which console will work? 

I saw previous posts where someone was able to post the several models of car/truck that use this same shift boot but the links in the post were dead. I would love to have that info because searches for my specific truck don't turn up any choices. 

Here are photos of my shift boot. The very bottom piece had come off and it looks like it was put together originally with contact cement so if push comes to shove, I could probably reattach it the same way but I'd rather replace it while I have the interior apart.

SkZLz9b.jpg

taHjCW0.jpg?1

• Like 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got new ones from Nissan. Try that, I used nissan4u.com to find the part number which I sent to the dealer. 

As for consoles there are two types (differ in length) because the 720 had a short tail and a long tail transmission, get the console with the metal bracket and it should bolt up. Might need to drill two holes in the floor for the rear mounting. I had too

• Like 1

I was able to crazy glue it back together (whch worked surprisingly well) and will keep an eye out for a console. The nissan4u site couldn't find my VIN so I need to double-check that I wrote it down correctly.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Yes it will fit.  All you need to figure out is long or short transmission, then buy the console to match. For it to be bolt in, you will also need the mounting bracket.  Stock console also allows addition of stock volt meter and oil pressure gauge.  95% of the wiring for those is already in the vehicle.  Need 18 inches of one wire, the correct pressure sending unit, and a resistor for the voltmeter.

• Like 1

I’m guessing that what transmission I have is a function of where the shifter is located on the tunnel and therefore the console I need will have the shifter in the same place or is there some other way to find that out?

• Like 1

From what I have seen, single cab 2WD trucks with a bench got the shorty, 2WD King Cab trucks got the long one, and all 4x4s got the shorty. There may be 2wd single cab trucks that got a long one because they were STs or deluxes with bucket seats, in which case they would have had the center console already in them. I could be wrong on that exact fact pattern but that's just been what I've seen. My guess is that you have a shorty. Post a picture of the interior and we'd be able to tell you 😂

Edited by MaxChlan
  • Like 3

Never seen a shorty in a 2 wheel drive.  The 2wd bench seat standard cab trucks I have had the long front but also had a notch in the bench seat for the shifter.  These were all 1980 trucks.

Edited by Charlie69

All 1985/86 Nissan 720 2wd reg cab short box trucks had a short 5spd, all kingcab 2wd trucks all had long shafts, short transmission short console, long transmission long console.

There are also a few strange short consoles that have the visor built into them instead of the gauge brackets holding them on, I found one in a 4wd I believe, not sure who made them.

I might take a couple consoles to the Portland swap meet to sell.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1
  • 11 months later...

So I got one of these rubber boots as in the first post . I ASSumed it fit into console on these trucks , but didn’t know . Now I have it in my hands I don’t see how it would attach to the console , so maybe never meant to ? I’d rather have it then the leather boot . I guess I could make something that would work, but want to make sure there isn’t clips that work for this .

• Like 1