Motor swap

Jkropolis

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but if you have to ask such a broad question you really haven't thought this out at all. Millennials all want to be spoon fed. I don't think anyone is going to write out 6 pages 'of how to' only for you to walk away. You are going to have to invest some time doing your own research on engine swaps (any engine like the KA) into other trucks to see what they did and the problems they had and solved. There are lots in the truck or project datto section. Then come back and ask an intelligent knowledgeable question like "Is the 520's H-190 going to stand up to an SR and what about the 4.875 gears? How will I get the speedometer to work with this? What the hell is a king pin"

You'll need at least $5K to start and the time to complete will depend on how much money you have access to. I would suggest saving up first then begin your swap or it will take 6 months and interest will lag. If you are planning to have a shop do this and not get fucked over, a good reliable shop will cost about twice that.

Have you ever done a swap yourself? If no, doesn't mean you can't, just that the failure rate goes up. Engine swapping is usually a progression of mechanical successes and learned skills leading up to it.

Do you have a nearby secure garage space and tools, including a welder, drill press and so on?

Can you fabricate parts? Much of an engine swap is 'one off' parts unique to the engine and the vehicle being united. Like engine and transmission mounts, exhaust plumbing, gas tank, EFI wiring, radiator....

Have you thought about how you will get stopped? You'll need a total brake replacement and definitely front discs and vented rotors and a dual master, not the puny single the 520 came with. You should always be able to decelerate faster than accelerate.

What about suspension and steering? Half of all accident prevention is being able to avoid them with good braking, steering and suspension.

I would build the truck up first so it is worthy of an SR swap. It'll go a long way to keeping you and the truck alive.

• Like 3

"I would build the truck up first so it is worthy of an SR swap. It'll go a long way to keeping you and the truck alive"  datzenmike.....

If you read nothing else of what Mike said I hope you atleast read what I quoted him on.....

Good luck on your 520..... 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Jkropolis said:

sup! so what I want to do is install an sr20det s13 in a datsun 520 pick up truck. how to go about it? 

You might have a read through my 66 520 thread as it cover some of the major hazards you will run into.  I swapped a L20B automatic into my 520. 

• Like 3

The 520 motor mounts are configured a lot differently than the later trucks. 

The easiest way would be to cut off the stock frame side mounts and get the frame plates from a 521/620 welded in the correct position and use my mounts for the 521 swap.

The next easiest would be just to fab all new motor mounts.

Wayno, the SR is about double the volume of a J13, maybe more with a turbo manifold. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, wayno said:

How big is a SR20 compared to an L20b?

How big is it compared to the J13?

Both 2 liter but the SR is dual cam head. I would guess looks somewhat like a KA24DE but not as tall and lighter. 

• Like 1

I guess I worded my question wrong, I was talking about block size, length, height, width, if it is longer or a lot higher than the L20b it is going to be a struggle to get it in there as the 520 has a smaller engine compartment from the firewall to the radiator core support and an L20b barely fits in there.

I asked about the J13 compared to the SR20 because modern engines are sometimes more compact, the dual over head cam head is wider but there is more room the higher in the engine compartment you are in the 520 width wise, it's not like a 510 where the towers can make things tight.

• Like 1

... and it's actually an engine swap more than a motor swap. A motor converts any form of energy into motion. An engine specifically uses combustion or heat. So while you would be correct to say you are putting an SR into your Datsun, you would be more correct to say you are putting an SR into your '67 520.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wayno you are correct the length from the firewall to the radiator support is the mane hurdle.  but there are several other hurdles to over come also.

Wayno, one thing I am running into is with the wiring that I am adding is the battery, I am going to move the battery to the front passenger side under the bed floor.  Considering making a sliding battery drawer like motor homes and travel trailers use.  This would be cut into the side of the bed using the cutout section of the bed to make the front of the drawer.

I didn't have to move my battery Charlie, I have lots of room on the passenger side, I have a big empty hole between the battery and the firewall.

1 hour ago, Charlie69 said:

Wayno, one thing I am running into is with the wiring that I am adding is the battery, I am going to move the battery to the front passenger side under the bed floor.  Considering making a sliding battery drawer like motor homes and travel trailers use.  This would be cut into the side of the bed using the cutout section of the bed to make the front of the drawer.

I would put the battery in the bed and have a cover for the box.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Wayno, are you running 720 AC, two electric fans, and two one inch tube aluminum radiator?

I replied in your 1966 520 thread, if I can stuff that much shit in my 521 kingcab turbodiesel truck, you can find room for a small Optima battery in your engine compartment.

• Like 1