B310 SGX-E build

afracer

Those of you who know me, know that I've had and hoarded an A series EGI (fuel injection) manifold for something near 25 years. Well I think I've finally got everything to finish making my 81 B310 into a Sunny GX-E/SGX-E. I'm guessing it'll be the only one quite like it in the US, which will be cool since even in Japan they're super rare, and usually stripped of the EFI. I've also got a A series EGI FSM coming soon as well to help make it a seamless and properly done swap.

The only real issues I forsee is the head isn't a EFI head for wet intake, so I'll have to put the temp sensor in a different spot, and I'll need to either run a new 5/16" fuel line, or settle for stock tiny 1/4" fuel lines. I've already got the EFI cam, dual valve springs, and rocker cover installed on the engine, among a few other goodies, so it'll be close to oem, only better.

I forsee starting on the actual swap in maybe 4 weeks, as work allows.  I'm anxious to see how gas mileage and performance is affected. I've got my DGV tuned in perfectly via wideband and get 26mpg combined city/hwy.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...

Car is up and running with the factory EFI. Still have a little bit of tuning involved hopefully this weekend I'll get time but even untined it runs better than ANY other induction setup I've had on an A series engine; to include stock, modified stock, Weber DGV, twin SUs, and twin 40 Dellortos. Extremely impressed. Right now it's a little rich, so first tried an adjustable FPR which helped a bit, but not enough, I'm going to try a 10k ohm potentiometer on the coolant temp sensor as I'm out of adjustment on a 5k ohm, then if its still rich I'll have to open up the AFM and turn the spring/gear a few more notches leaner. But it's very close, warm idle and light cruise is 13.8 to 14.0, just want it up more around 15.0. In any case this has really made me lose all taste for any and all carbs ever again.

• Like 1

Does it have an O2 sensor? Fuel pressure shouldn't matter it's regulated by the O2 in the exhaust. If you turn the pressure down the injectors will have to stay open longer. The MAF? has a flap door? (like the early 280z?) yes they are adjustable. They also wear out the carbon track and make bad contact when they get old but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

15 is lean, but only slightly, and fine for idle. What's important is that it's slightly rich under load and high 12s low 13s at full throttle. 

No O2 sensor as this entire setup is from 1978. Nissan didn't incorporate O2 sensors on the Sunny until 81-82 and those ECUs and harnesses are impossible to find. Fuel pressure matters when you're using a much larger pump than the original fuel pump, especially when the base fuel pressure at idle is only supposed to be 28.5 psi, my wideband agrees.