Z24 5 speed to L20b

thelow620

Been on the search for a 5 speed to put in my 77 620, which currently has an L20 and 4 speed combo. I came across an ad for a complete 1982 z24 and 5 speed transmission for sale for a decent price.

I've  been trying to find info about using this trans and this quote below from datzenmike was good info. If I'm reading this correctly you use the L20 bell housing from a 5 speed on the napZ trans to correct the lean angle. Can I assume I can also use the bell housing from a 4 speed as well?

Thanks.

"The KA or the Z series transmission will physically bolt to an L series motor BUT it will be rotated about 20 degrees to the right with the shifter in the passenger side seat. the rear transmission mount will also be tilted and not bolt up. Not a good idea. You can take the front case half off an L series FS5W71B and swap it onto the KA or Z series transmission and this will 'convert' it for use on an L series motor. Keep in mind the the transmission doesn't care what clutch you use. It has no effect what ever on the transmission. The clutch used it totally dependent on what flywheel you have. Car L20B use 200mm bolt pattern while trucks use 225mm. The flywheels look the same it's just the pressure plate mounting bolt pattern that is different."

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but check the following first.

Now I've never seen this but at least one 4 speed had the reverse light switch mounted farther back and this won't work on a five speed. The picture below is the correct location for the reverse light switch, just behind the clutch dust boot on the passenger side. You can see there is a raised boss just to the left of it. I wouldn't worry, but just to be sure check.

sCIY6JA.jpg

Would not be hard to Black & Decker a new hole and tap it so it looks like the above. You could plug the old hole with the left over reverse switch.

One other thing, is this an '85 or '86 transmission? If yes, it will have a 62mm counter bearing that will be too large for your smaller 56mm hole in the front case. If you can afford to have the case milled out you can take advantage of the much improved larger counter bearing. If not, just pull it off and swap your 56mm one on and go. All that's needed is a gear puller and hammer it on with a suitable sized pipe that just fits the inner race so you don't bugger the bearing.

If you get it, mark the input and output shafts, say at 12 o'clock on both. Place in first gear and have someone count to output turns while you turn the input 20 times.

5.5 turns you have a 0.813 overdrive. 18.7%

6 turns you have a 0.833 overdrive ratio. 16.7%

Make sure it has a speedometer drive in it. 4X4 transmissions are driven from the transfer case and cannot be made to work the speedometer.