Sign in to follow this  
510revisited

Shortened STOCK 510 struts

Ive decided to go the route of shortened stock 510 strut housings. ive read, and read, and read, and read some more. The problem im having is last nite i read a thread that shows how to measure the amount of tube that needs to be sliced out. Dude shows how to use a piece of tape to use as a guide for measuring. I cant find that thread again. I just need a link please. Any and all help would be awesome. Thanks

I presume you have a strut insert in mind that fits a shortened strut???? As long as not cut too short. You can shim with a washer in the bottom.

I suppose you can't be convinced to upgrade to 280zx, 200sx, or Maxima struts?

Either way, why can't you put the insert in, and measure?  Or to make it idiot proof, put the insert in, tighten down the gland nut, mark the shaft with tape, then lift the insert up until it tops out and measure from the bottom of the tape to the gland nut and remove an extra 32nd or mm to be sure the gland nut tightens snug down on the insert.

ZX and Maxima struts have the larger vented rotors and caliper.

The S12 but not the S110.

Good thing I wasn't talking about the S110 which you'd probably never find anywhere anyways

• Haha 2

I've had 2 sets of S110 struts. I had a truck an no se for them. Gave one set away and I don't know WTF I did with the other pair. I think the single dish is slightly thicker The caliper looks somewhat like the 620 disc brake. The bolt pattern for the caliper is the same as the zx but the tube is very long and 1.5" longer than the 510 but the non vented rotor is almost the size of the zx.

On 3/4/2019 at 6:45 PM, datzenmike said:

I presume you have a strut insert in mind that fits a shortened strut???? As long as not cut too short. You can shim with a washer in the bottom.

Yes sir, kyb 280zx struts, on order. Along with rear kyb shocks. 

On 3/4/2019 at 7:43 PM, thisismatt said:

I suppose you can't be convinced to upgrade to 280zx, 200sx, or Maxima struts?

Either way, why can't you put the insert in, and measure?  Or to make it idiot proof, put the insert in, tighten down the gland nut, mark the shaft with tape, then lift the insert up until it tops out and measure from the bottom of the tape to the gland nut and remove an extra 32nd or mm to be sure the gland nut tightens snug down on the insert.

I have the 280zx struts sitting in the garage. But just like every car guy, moar loar is more important than safety! I plan to do the swap, but i will need to replace the rotors (i have to have new ones) and the calipers, and the bearings, and the master (partly cause it needs to be replaced anyways), plus i wanna wait to do all this when my stock brake pads wear out.. all in do time. There is a method to my madness... btw i found the post i was looking for. It was actually dime quarterly. But yes, ill figure out how to make it work.

Do you have a brake booster? The larger zx calipers will require more volume of fluid and the stock pedal will travel farther to deliver this and while it will work the pedal appears mushy. A larger master will firm the pedal but you can'r get something for nothing... effort will increase. A booster will reduce this effort.

3 hours ago, 510revisited said:

Yes sir, kyb 280zx struts, on order. Along with rear kyb shocks. 

I have the 280zx struts sitting in the garage. But just like every car guy, moar loar is more important than safety! I plan to do the swap, but i will need to replace the rotors (i have to have new ones) and the calipers, and the bearings, and the master (partly cause it needs to be replaced anyways), plus i wanna wait to do all this when my stock brake pads wear out.. all in do time. There is a method to my madness... btw i found the post i was looking for. It was actually dime quarterly. But yes, ill figure out how to make it work.

280ZX struts are about an inch shorter than the 510 struts. Using the 280zx kyb strut inserts means you need to cut the 510 struts to the same length. Either measure both struts and cut or insert the new KYB short struts and measure how far they don't stick out. Then when you are ready to switch over to the 280zx struts just swap in the KYB inserts.

If you want low, why not buy a Techno Toy Tuning weld on coilover kit and use with the 510 strut - you get as much  low as yo want. Then  when you change to the 280zx struts just swap the T3 kit to the new struts - the kit is made to fit both.

My T3 kit should arrive tomorrow - I tried to save all the 510 stuff to use until I could afford to change over to the 280zx but the 510 brakes, etc., was going to need to be replaced so I decided to swap over and put the money into the bigger stuff. And it means buying bigger wheels (not in the budget) and not be able to use the 13" minilite style wheels I have.

Finding 510 stock rotors was almost impossible - and expensive. 280ZX stock rotor rings are $12 each from rockauto.

Hope this helps - PM me if you want.

Edited by rosso

1.14" different between stock and the zx lengths. 

You can only go as low as the insert will collapse to and then it bottoms out. This will damage the insert so make damn sure you stiffen the coil spring to resist full suspension travel on bumps, or just don't lower to the rocker panels.

If running a short insert in a long strut tube slip a stack of washers in the bottom under the insert to make up the difference. You may have, to even in the zx tubes, as they are likely not made specifically for the zx and are just a generic make to fit a wide range of applications.

8 hours ago, rosso said:

280ZX struts are about an inch shorter than the 510 struts. Using the 280zx kyb strut inserts means you need to cut the 510 struts to the same length. Either measure both struts and cut or insert the new KYB short struts and measure how far they don't stick out. Then when you are ready to switch over to the 280zx struts just swap in the KYB inserts.

If you want low, why not buy a Techno Toy Tuning weld on coilover kit and use with the 510 strut - you get as much  low as yo want. Then  when you change to the 280zx struts just swap the T3 kit to the new struts - the kit is made to fit both.

My T3 kit should arrive tomorrow - I tried to save all the 510 stuff to use until I could afford to change over to the 280zx but the 510 brakes, etc., was going to need to be replaced so I decided to swap over and put the money into the bigger stuff. And it means buying bigger wheels (not in the budget) and not be able to use the 13" minilite style wheels I have.

Finding 510 stock rotors was almost impossible - and expensive. 280ZX stock rotor rings are $12 each from rockauto.

Hope this helps - PM me if you want.

This is pretty much my plan, minus i went with gc because i live an hour from them and was able to drive up and pick up my kit. I went with a diy 200 lb coilover setup for the front (from gc), and i bought some ebay special coilover sleeves so i can build my own rear coilovers. Im using 280zx strut inserts for the front, and corolla ae86, both kyb. (i aint puttin no 'merican stuff on this car 🤣) once i get the ebay sleeves, i plan to measure accordingly so i can buy a proper 200 spring so i can match the corners. Again, i do plan to swap to the bigger break setup.. just a matter of looks over function first!!!

Image result for tropic thunder

Never go form over function...

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

1.14" different between stock and the zx lengths.

If running a short insert in a long strut tube slip a stack of washers in the bottom under the insert to make up the difference. You may have, to even in the zx tubes, as they are likely not made specifically for the zx and are just a generic make to fit a wide range of applications.

The KYB 365013 from rockauto fits the 280zx strut perfectly. It comes with a new strut cap and beveled washer for on top of the insert.

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Image result for tropic thunder

Never go form over function...

I fucking loved that movie. Shit was hilarious! This whole build ive been aiming for function over form, but i went ahead in a childish fit and HAD to lower the front cause it had way to much bro lean. But i originally ONLY cut the perches. This time im going full ret..d!

Edited by 510revisited
  • Haha 1

Ok. So im at the stage of letting my new paint job dry on my oe 69 510 (dont quote me) struts. I placed the strut in the housing and was able to move it up and down somewhere in the neighborhood of 11/16. Does this sound wrong/right.. ? since its only that little of an amount i may just stack shims instead of doing the judo chop... depends on what i can come up with. IF i do the chop, should i measure the slop with the cap screw screwed this way

7l9Rpkl.jpg

or this way

hdzOTvF.jpg

Also, do i cut the actual 11/16 or do i cut half that... the way the dq article made it sound was to cut half the measurement, which in my eyes still leaves slop..

Edited by 510revisited

Personally, I would cut it the full "slop" amount with the gland nut at full thread engagement but not fully seated.

I see it now. I have an old school us army footlocker my dad "acquired" in his early adulthood full of misc bolts, screws, nuts, 1 1/4X1/16 FENDER WASHERS, and other accoutrement. I stacked a total 13 washers and it fits like a charm. Im gonna go the lazy way and buy 1 1/2 x1/16 washers tomorrow and stack 12 on each side and move onto building the rears. Besides its all temp till i switch out to my zx struts. 

Edited by 510revisited