80 210 fuel system trouble shooting

Ok next phase of trying to get the car back on road. The 80 car has a 77 a14 and Chinese replica electric distributor installed. Only running of brake cleaner and bowls filled. Car sat for 2.5 years so lines may or may not be plugged. Original sender was functional prior to sitting. As of now no fuel pressure. So far I've just tried to get fuel into the rails by filling the filter and plugging it on the bottom. Slight drip at the hose end of rail to carb. No vacuum canister so I plugged the hose at that line. I also tried to see what taking lines off pump as well, disconnecting filter hose and rail hose. I poured fuel into the upward facing rail line and it flowed right out the filter side line, without obstruction (but not sure if stuck  in position.)The car has incomplete wiring so not sure if sender is getting current aside from no dash or gauges at this point (but sender shouldn't affect pump?) So basically engine sputters until bowls empty out, and I had a little bit of fuel pass into rail from filter. Does canister affect pressure? I will try to blow air into the tank. Sat with 3 gallons which I drained. Got at least a gallon of fresh gas now but nothing is going from line to filter or tails. Any tips?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The mechanical fuel pump is relatively robust and unlikely to fail spontaneously. I'm not saying it might not have gone bad, but I would consider that lower on the probability list, especially as they tend to leak rather than just fail.

Most likely would be a blockage in the fuel line. An easy way of blowing it out I've found is to use a piece of gas hose hooked to the metal line and a standard tire air inflator. 

Basically, put the longer gas hose on the metal line and then use the tire inflator with your hand and hold it on the fuel line to push air into the tank and blow out the crap.

You can test the pump itself by throwing some gas line into a container with some gas and hooking it up to the pump and pulling off the line to the carb and crank the engine and see if any gas comes out.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a dribble gets to end of the rail. I only blew into the outlet line. Would the canister line make a difference?. Finally got a gas cap which helped, but still not psi enough to keep it running.  FYI a got a late 90's Sentra mid pipe(between cat and muffler) and it bolts on the a14 manifold. 

• 2 weeks later...

Reinstall the charcoal canister, or at least don't plug the hose to it from the gas tank. Your tank has to be able to breathe or you could eventually create a vacuum on the tank and restrict fuel flow. But it sounds like you've got clogged lines from tank. Run new lines and have the tank restored. 

She drinks... like a lush.  I blew the lines again, good ten minutes.

But....i removed the hose off main pickup or outlet line(in the middle ) and it pumped from a container reservoir on floor.

I still suspect something wrong inside the tank tho.

Ran out of daylight today but I will try directly from the gas tank later.

Whatever caused it to only fill halfway from empty must be completely obstructing the hose to the line. Guess have to drop tank to investigate, replace breather filter (throw parts at it technique)

16 hours ago, 81sunnyson said:

She drinks... like a lush.  I blew the lines again, good ten minutes.

But....i removed the hose off main pickup or outlet line(in the middle ) and it pumped from a container reservoir on floor.

I still suspect something wrong inside the tank tho.

Ran out of daylight today but I will try directly from the gas tank later.

Whatever caused it to only fill halfway from empty must be completely obstructing the hose to the line. Guess have to drop tank to investigate, replace breather filter (throw parts at it technique)

I can't tell if you've checked this yet or not, but you should have a short piece of rubber fuel line between the gas tank and the fuel lines, this can fail causing a blockage. Wouldn't hurt to change either way too.

Usually pretty easy to change and it lets you check the metal fuel lines isolated from the tank to see if that is the restriction. You can also use this to basically blow air straight into the tank to try and clear a pickup blockage, might want to pop gas cap off first though.

Edited by Dguy210
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/28/2019 at 11:20 AM, datzenmike said:

Worse... I've had a gas tank implode from a blocked vent. Looked like a squashed banana.

you wouldn't happen to know what vent was blocked?  its not one of the vacuum lines in the engine bay? I've capped 2 lines at the moment & I've just read this now and am worried.  I don't want my tank to implode like a squashed banana😨

Edited by Retro Wave