Trying to identify my L28 manual trannsmission

So I own a 1985 Nissan Laurel with an L28 swapped into it, as I didn't do the motor swap I am unsure about some things (like which transmission is installed) All I know is that its a single barrel carby, F54 block with an N42 head. I figured out it was from a '79 280ZX but am unsure what manual gearbox came with the car. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, your L28 could be a miss-match block and head. That F54 came in 1981-83 with flat top pistons. The N42 was the older version of the head for an L28 and had smaller combustion chambers meant to be used with dished pistons. As you have it set up there, if the block still has flat tops then you've got a high compression L28. You could easily do a compression test to see where the PSI numbers are at.

Do you have to run high octain fuel in order to avoid pinging?

On the transmission, if you need a new clutch or transmission, my best guess without seeing pictures is that you can buy a 5-speed from any 280Z or 280ZX

To add to the above the '79 was a one year only (first year ZX) mid ratio 5 speed while the '80-'83 were what I would call a close ratio (certainly closer that the other two ratios available on Nissan 71Bs) with a large 25% over drive 5th gear.

On 3/5/2019 at 4:47 AM, Bleach said:

Also, your L28 could be a miss-match block and head. That F54 came in 1981-83 with flat top pistons. The N42 was the older version of the head for an L28 and had smaller combustion chambers meant to be used with dished pistons. As you have it set up there, if the block still has flat tops then you've got a high compression L28. You could easily do a compression test to see where the PSI numbers are at.

Do you have to run high octain fuel in order to avoid pinging?

On the transmission, if you need a new clutch or transmission, my best guess without seeing pictures is that you can buy a 5-speed from any 280Z or 280ZX

I haven't had the head off in a year since it was warped, was warped enough that the guy who machined it told me I didn't wanna know how much was skimmed off, but said that if it was warped anymore that the head wouldn't be usable. I'm pretty sure its got dished pistons as I only have one photo of the block from when I took the head off. I don't have a sompression tester kit but used a friends well over a year ago. From memory its between 150-160 on all cylinders with blown rings.

I just run 91-98 octane depending how expensive 98 is but I haven't experienced any pinging before

Here's the photo of the block

53295602_301265557212690_301849832981948