Project Car Step Advice

I recently bought a 72' 510 Sedan and would like advice on the best order on restoring. What I mean is what do to first to last so im not going backwards on certain parts.

I plan on:

SR20 swap: drivetrain,transmission, ect. (currently completely stock with rebuilt original engine)

New Interior: Seats, dash, panels, carpet, speakers, also would like to add a center console from another car, so id imagine i need to do the swap before placing a console around my shifter so any advice or knowledge on that would be good.

Vinyl Wrap exterior

Anything Im missing add in comment 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vinyl wrap looks like exactly what it is....a cheap ass shitty band-aid way to cover up poor paint, bondo, blemishes and rust on a great car. Get the body done right and paint it properly.

If it's on the road leave it on the road while you do the interior and body. There's nothing quite like an SR swap that runs out of money on a roach of a car with no brake and suspension up grades. Build the car first with the end game being a huge power swap later. Brakes, suspension, steering, tires and rims, proper lowering of the rear and front, body and paint, then interior.

Now you have a fitting platform to put an SR into. If you run out of money at least the car looks and drives great.

• Like 1

Is this your first real project car?

Does it run currently?

A running car is WAY easier to stay motivated and continue working, because you get to enjoy the car in between stuff you do.

DO NOT start by pulling the stock drivetrain.  Even if you plan to change the engine out, i would get it running and driving stock first.  Simple fact is if you can't get an L16 running solid, its pretty much a given that you will not have the skills to complete a reliable swap.

Once driving, get the brakes and suspension up to SR level.  You don't mention those but unless your car recently underwent a massive restoration, those are priority one.  

Once most the other stuff is done,  then go back to the engine swap.  Plan on $5k for the swap to get actually reliably running.  Yes it can be done for less, but its massively harder and time consuming.

Then you can pick your favorite center console to match your redone interior and you're done.

Bring thick skin around here.  Everyone believes their opinions of aesthetics are facts handed down from God.

Also bring lots and lots of pics.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Lockleaf said:

Bring thick skin around here.  Everyone believes their opinions of aesthetics are facts handed down from God.

Also bring lots and lots of pics.

Well it is a fairly classic car and not  a graphics covered bus. ?

Yes to the pictures.

• Like 2

More often than not, if you ask a broad question like that with minimal background info, you're going to get a bunch of conflicting advice on subjects you never intended. Besides keeping the car running as long as possible, if there's one first step in planning a project build its do an ass load of research before doing anything. There are tons of SR swap build threads here on Ratsun, and on the510realm.com. Before deciding on an SR, I spent 2 months reading build threads. Before asking any questions I outline how I wanted to use the car and within my budget some realistic expectations for performance. With specific goals for power braking handling and safely, I researched what I needed to make that happen, ie a list of parts and modifications for each system.

exterior body rust repair 

stock electrical/running lights

engine/valve train

entire fuel system

intake/exhaust

cooling

intercooler

trans/clutch/driveshaft/differential/stub axles/rims/tires

Brakes

suspension/steering

engine management/boost control

upper and lower wiring harness

instrumentation/gauges interior

Until you have all that stuff worked out, it's a bit counter productive to start prioritize. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2019 at 10:47 AM, datzenmike said:

Yea don't do what I did and take it apart and 20 years it's still apart. Enjoy driving it while you work on her.

IMG_2079.jpg

UNCF (United Nissan Car Foundation)

A 510 is a terrible thing to waste.

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 1