Help with my Bucket List Truck

number3on

A few months ago I got a 1981 Datsun pick up for $150 . The only history is an oil change and tune up within the last 200 miles. And it's the original carb that has been "cleaned and mostly rebuilt" Poor little truck. The carb was off. Truck has poorly installed headers. And exhaust and muffler, while important, least of my worries right now. Truck only has 52,000 original miles. I know there is a young truck under all this old facade. (just like me) I saw it on the road within the past year. I've done SOME auto work. And I'm on a fixed income. But I don't want anybody else, or worse, else(s) under the hood. This will likely be my last vehicle. I want to be proud of it. So Ratsunites, where do I start? Please help me fix this little truck

• Like 3
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Find out how to post pictures, as this will help when describing a problem.

Do you have any tools?

A covered place to work on it?

An '81 FSM? factory service manual? NOT a Haynes manual a REAL Nissan FSM. Order one from e Bay about $20. Pays for itself the first time you open it.

Look at the oil on the dipstick. If dark then that oil change was more than 200 miles ago. If so the 'rebuilt' carb is probably bullshit also.  I find it hard to believe 52K miles on it. Why would someone park it or not use it more in close to 40 years?

The carb was off.... does this mean it's on now? Does it run and drive?

What does it do and what does it NOT do? 

• Like 1

Will get some pics on A.S.A.P. I have tools. No covered place to work. But I live in Olympia, Washington. I'm DAMN good with a tarp! Truck came w/Haynes. But I will order a FSM. Oil is clean. About the mileage. I first saw this truck 12 years ago parked in a yard. It sat there, full of garbage. Last year I  finally talked to the old fellow who lived there said he had owned it since 1990, bought it from his brother, but hardly ever drove it. Would he sell it? NO! Shortly after I see the truck at the store. Some kid driving it. It's running, but kinda rough. Kid says the old guy passed away. I got it at his estate sale. The interior is in really good condition. The original floor mats hardly even dirty. The original tires sold on that year and model with still 80% tread. The driver seat material rotten, but not worn. No worn spots on steering wheel, gear shift like new. Arm rest, perfect  Neglected? Yes. But used? Not much. The carb is still off. I'll get pics of it. Thank you SO much for responding. No body will help me with this. I think maybe cause I want to do it myself and I'm an old woman. But I know I can. A couple years ago I resurfaced the heads on a Subaru Forester w/just a little help. It started up and ran first try. (Subaru, bah humbug!)  I love the little Datsun! It wants to run. Her name is Daisy.

• Like 4

If the stock carb looks complete, pop it back on and connect "ALL" the original vac lines and check fluids and try to start it to see what you really got.

Assume the carb was off because it didnt run right, have to get it to that point so you can determine next step.

If it runs like the carb is bad, double check the vacuum line routing is good and no cracks in them.

Then try to run it without gas by substituting careful spray of Starting Fluid to see if it runs better, then tackle whether its fuel or spark related.

I feel like an old woman....

This is good information and I'm encouraged that you can handle this. Almost obvious that the kid driving it didn't have the spills to keep it on the road.

8 hours ago, number3on said:

No body will help me with this. I think maybe cause I want to do it myself and I'm an old woman. But I know I can. A couple years ago I resurfaced the heads on a Subaru Forester w/just a little help. It started up and ran first try. (Subaru, bah humbug!)  I love the little Datsun! It wants to run. Her name is Daisy.

You have superior attitude.

Easiest way to post pictures:

* visit imgur.com

* drag and drop all of the images you want into the browser window imgur will accept the upload and create an image gallery

* once the gallery is complete use your mouse to right click on the image and "copy image address" from the image

* come back to ratsun and in the text box use your keyboard and hit the keys Ctrl + V and paste the image url in

The ratsun website is smart enough to display the image for you. 

Welcome!

OK, ordering a manual, hooking up the carb, trying the pictures thing. (harder, I think, then fixing the truck) Learning new cuss words. Got it. May take me a couple days or so. I'll be back on when I have some pics and a progress report. Thanx people! Oh, and Figbuck, takes a whacker to know one, yes?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back. So I put in the original carb. Truck started, kinda.( So many hoses and nipples and not enough duct tape) But then a friend gave me a Weber! I took out the old carb, fed it to the sheep, and put in the Weber. But the 2nd throttle plate was REALLY hard to move. So I took out the Weber, warned it about the sheep, and pulled the throttle plate shafty thingy.  I cleaned the shaft and gave it a very, very light sanding, put it back together and re-installed it on the truck. And BAM! It runs! Now it still has a few issues before I can say it runs and drives, but it started first try and stayed running. my next pressing issue is that it's idling rather high. Everything on the carb seems to be working well. Choke and throttle plates opening and closing. When I work the throttle manually, it revs up and right back down when released. But it still idles like someone has their foot on the gas a little. What do I check to fix that? (oh, and Daisy says she's just not ready for any pictures yet. Says she wants to get cleaned up first, especially if you guys want to look under her hood!)