Gear Box

MikelB

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the truck looked at cause I had an adjustment and new tires put on a month ago and it was still pulling. The gear box needs replaced, the ball joints needs replaced and the tire rod needs replaces. 

I bought the truck for $2000, iv'e put over $3500 into it (I have all the recites for the work) Im a college student and can't continue to pay this much for a truck so I'm currently posting it on craigslist. 

• Like 1

A leak won't make it pull to one side....

I'm with Mike, you don't need, and can't handle a 35 year old truck while going to college.

By taking it to someone else, you have shown that no, you can't handle it.

The majority of shops out there feed on 'novices' like you.
Going in, asking questions about things you don't understand, is like chumming sharks.

• Like 3

Nor does it necessarily need replacing. Probably the pitman arm seal. If you have the tools and space and a factory service manual, (FSM) not the little booklet that gives you your tire pressure, we can help you with suggestions and pictures.

You'll never find a fat honest mechanic. The really honest ones struggle to get by. They are only too happy to take your money. In a lot of ways they are just like lawyers.

Yeah you need a Civic or Corolla

Geeez Daux, that's twice in 12 hours we agreed on something. I'm going to go get a lottery ticket.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, MikelB said:

Had the truck looked at cause I had an adjustment and new tires put on a month ago and it was still pulling. The gear box needs replaced, the ball joints needs replaced and the tire rod needs replaces. 

I bought the truck for $2000, iv'e put over $3500 into it (I have all the recites for the work) Im a college student and can't continue to pay this much for a truck so I'm currently posting it on craigslist. 

$100 parts and $3400 labor.

Also I am amazed that with typing, punctuation, and spelling that you were excepted to a college!  LOL  Spell check can be your enemy!

If the steering box is leaking, lots of shops will recommend a replacement. Problem is, this isn't a mid 90s Chevy. If it were, a rebuilt steering box could be purchased from Napa for about $300. Rebuilding a box takes up time and ties up a lift. Shops hate tying up space. That's why these shops will try to replace instead of rebuild.

If your steering box does need to be "replaced", you could have it rebuilt by a professional instead.   https://redheadsteeringgears.com/   in Auburn Washington can rebuild any box for around $450. 

If your box just needs a seal, your local shop may charge you close to the cost of a rebuild just to replace the seal. Time = money.

I would suggest finding another shop. One that specializes in trucks, 4x4s or imports. Your average local mechanic is not always the best choice.

• Like 2
On 2/27/2019 at 8:58 AM, MikelB said:

So I just found that my gear box is going out on my 1984 Nissan 720. How hard are these to replace? Is this something a novice like myself can do? 

Really, replacing the steering box is not that hard. It's more a matter of having the right tools and space. If you have a replacement already, invest in a shop manual and you can see if you have the tools and mechanical chops to the job. For instance, if the pitman arm has been removed on the replacement box, you'll need a puller to get the old one off. Even if you don't know what a puller is though, it's not hard to use one.  Chances are, you have a friend who has what you need.

Congrats on getting your ass to college BTW. Hopefully you can get your truck back on it's feet and sold before spring. 

Best of luck.

• Like 2