Headlights Problem

oukippy

Hello,

I'm trying to understand how should the headlights work and to know if mines have a real problem. I understand that the light switch have 3 positions : off, low and high.

Here's a little drawing of what happens when I use the switch (obviously on off there is no light at all) :

1550782337-high-vs-low.jpg

I think it's not normal that the 4 headlights are only enlighten when I put the switch in high position.

My guess is :

on low position, H1 and H4 should be enlighten at the low level of brightness ;

- on high position, H1 and H4 should be enlighten at the low level of brightness and H2 and H3 should be at high level.

Is it correct and what could cause the problem (if there is a problem) ? 

It's hard for me to understand because I've never seen a 620 before buying one ?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you pull the headlight switch out to the first position only the parking lamps (two front amber an the red tail lights PLUS the front side amber marker or clearance light and the rear red clearance lights,  the license plate lamps and the dash lights. Like your first picture. No headlights should be on.

On the second position, pulled out all the way, all the above applies, plus power is sent to all four headlamps. The headlamp switch can only select hi or low beams there is no third option so depends  what the hi/low switch is set at. The hi/low switch is on the turn signal stalk and you move it towards or away from the dash for hi or low beams. If all you have is all four lamps lit, maybe you are on hi beams.

The outer two lamps have a low beam and a hi beam filament inside. The inner middle two lamps have just a hi beam filament. If you select low beams only the outside two lamps light. When you switch to hi beams the low beam turns off and all four hi beam filaments light. 

• Thanks 1

Thak you very much for the explanations . My problem could be related to the hi/low switch. Nothing changes when I move it towards or away. I made a little video to show you how the stalk is loosen. I suppose it's not normal and could explain that I can't switch the beams :

vide_2019-02-23-132aeb39fvideo.jpg

Any idea of what could happen ?

I forgot to say that I have no problem with the turn signal switch.

Edited by oukippy

Looks like the switch is moving when the lever is moved. I would expect the switch to be solid.

Split the plastic 'clam shell' off the steering column and have a better look. IIRC there is a Phillips screw that tightens the turn signal / hi low switch assembly to the steering column tube.

• Thanks 1

I unmount the lever to under how it works. I've found the problem. It was poorly repaired I think. 

There's no contact within the switch when I pull the lever. After removing everything, I used a screwdriver instead of the little piece of metal and was able to change the beams as expected.

I'll send pictures later to ask for your thinking on how to repair. It's not a very expensive part but it's damn more fun to repair then to buy in Thailand ! lol

The lever was hold by a simple screw :

1550955336-53084552-298355167448728-1895

1550955333-52995386-349409932323419-3865

I think there is something missing here :

1550955842-missing-part.jpg

The missing part should push this little piece of metal which make the contact between wires :

1550955844-zoom.jpg

According to what I saw on the 521 post, there should be a ball bearing and a spring. I found a ball bearing under the carpet and was clever enough to keep it but I'm not sure it's the good one. Beside, I don't have the spring. Any idea on how to fix it ?

On 2/23/2019 at 10:16 PM, datzenmike said:

Looks like a roll pin should be in there. The ball and spring help it seat into one of the three positions and not flop around.

100_4200.jpg

Do you think the spring is supposed to enter in the lever's hole ?

I'm trying to find a replacement spring and ball bearing. If it should fit in the hole, I can measure it and determine the diameter of the spring (and ball) which will be a good starting point for replacement finding.

I've found the spring ! it was in the lever's hole...

I write here the measured dimensions if anyone have lost it :

spring length = 6.72 mm = 0.2645 in

spring diameter (outside) = 3.73 mm = 0.147 in

hole length = 7.62 mm = 0.300 in

hole diameter = 3.91 mm = 0.155 in

Consequently I only need the good ball bearing. If I see correctly on the next picture, the ball should be in the lever hole so I suppose that the diameter is the same :

SANY1320.jpg

100_4200.jpg

Just to be absolutely clear.... it should be assembled as shown above. I would call the 'lever hole' the one that the poll pin fits into. I had my 710 turnn signal apart and it was a total bitch to get that spring compressed and get the roll pin in.  The receiver for the ball is sort of shaped like this... VV with the ball being pushed down into the V and held there by the stiff spring so the arm does not flop about.

2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Just to be absolutely clear.... it should be assembled as shown above. I would call the 'lever hole' the one that the poll pin fits into. I had my 710 turnn signal apart and it was a total bitch to get that spring compressed and get the roll pin in.  The receiver for the ball is sort of shaped like this... VVV with the ball being pushed down into the V and held there by the stiff spring so the arm does not flop about.

I think the screw fits well in the lever hole.

My question is : does the ball enter in the other hole ? The one where you have the spring in.

1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

Could be it. Like I say I didn't get my 710 one that far apart. and it may be different but it did have the spring and ball.

Ok I was thinking you did. I'll try different configurations probably. 

Do you confirm that the ball was partly inside the spring hole and the spring fully inside ?