Sign in to follow this  
nissan720

distributor datsun 620

will the dizzy from a 510 work in a 620 pickup? found a 79 datsun truck but it needs a distributor, tried local autoparts stores with no success.truck has a l20b engine.thanks for any help i can get.it was equipped with the matchbox dizzy.

Yes.... it can... work.

The 510 is the '68-'73 PL510?????  Or do you really mean the '78-'81 A10 also loosely called the 510???? but here called the A10 or HL510 to show the difference.

all i know is the truck came originally equipped with a matchbox dizzy as told by the owner.I just need a good dizzy for this 79  datsun 620.

a 68-72 510 had a point distributor. which needs a ballast resistor otherwise points will burn up. and the Start wire to bypass the ballst

the later 510 (A10 had a matchbox )

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

What GD 510???

The original PL510 distributors were points style. For this to work in a '79 620 (which are EI and don't have points) you will need a points coil and a ballast resistor to go with it.

If this is from an A10 and built before June '78 you have a remote igniter EI and will need the ignition box mounted under the dash or easily convert using a General Motors HEI module. If built after June '78 and until June '80 and Non California emissions, you have a matchbox and will drop right in. From July on won't work.