IRS In Datsun 1200 Ute?

I’m wondering if there is any information or step by step instructions of how to fit irs into a 1984-86 (I think) Datsun 1200 Ute as I’m hoping for a more comfortable ride around town and some extra weight in the back also awaiting sr20DE build in future. Any suggestions on donor cars or a company that manufactures the irs would be awesome.

Thanks, mop.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a Ute or utility vehicle so will have stiffer springs for carrying a load. You can add 2-300 pounds of sand bags that will force the suspension to flex on bumps and this will be more comfortable or take a leaf out of each side and replace the shocks. IRS does not necessarily provide a more 'comfortable ride'. In most cases it might improve handling but when pressed hard they introduce their own problems. By the time you add a big anti sway bar, stiffer springs and shocks... you may as well have had a solid axle in the back in the first place.

The Australian Datsun 1600 and the 160B and 180B had an IRS. It was all on a sub frame but likely wider than the Ute. Anything else like a Z car, S12/13/14 will need to be narrowed and a lot of work.