no crank no start ''clicks''

JD10888

so i have an electrical problem i have a 1985 720 with a sd25 diesel i put a brand new battery in i have to roll start it every time when i turn it off it just clicks the engine wont even turn over the battery it still reading around 12.2volts so theres nothing wrong with the battery im guessing its the starter relay or the starter but im not exactly sure witch one

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like either the starter relay or a bad wire connection at the relay or starter. 

You can pull the starter out and test it on the ground with some jumper cables. 

Neg to the case of the starter and positive to the main starter lug. 

Then test the solenoid with the positive on the solenoid lug and a jumper to the solenoid trigger. 

The starter should spin and push the starter gear out to engage the flywheel.

• 1 year later...

Im not sure why when i posted this it changed my wording its nothing to do with the start motor i replaced that. ever since i replaced the headgasket it cranks but wont start i have cracked the fuel injector nuts there is fuel dribbling out so fuel is getting to all 4 cylinders and there is power getting all 4 glow plugs what could it be 

OK, does this engine have a inline injection pump or a VE type injection pump?

This is an inline injection pump with the injection lines coming out of the top of the injection pump.

DSCN1240.JPG

And this is a VE type pump that the injection lines come out the rear of the pump.

DSCN1244.JPG

It depends on what type of injection pump you have on what may be the issue, when you did the head gasket did you do anything else like replace the spin on  fuel filter?

Edited by wayno

OK, on that VE type injection pump there is a wire on top, when the key is turned on it should click, that would be the solenoid opening up allowing fuel to flow, if that wire is not connected or doesn't have 12 volts when the ignition is turned on the engine will never start or run, if it does not click it may also have went bad and is not functioning properly.

I do not know how to bypass that part if it is bad as I have never had an issue with it, so I don't know if it can be removed and have the engine run properly or if it will just puke fuel everywhere.