'92 nissan sentra transaxle meltdown

Chudd

Hi folks, i wish i were talking about the 280 z like most of you on here, but i have an issue with a '92 sentra 4 speed manual transaxle. Mine went out big time, bearing chunks in the pan, and im trying to replace it. Problem is nobody has a 4 speed manual transmission for a 91-92 sentra. They arent available to purchase brand new even. All i can find is 5 speed transaxles. I was wondering if i can throw a 5 speed onto my 1.6 motor that originally had a 4 speed hooked up to it. Its the USA version if that helps. 

Sorry for the thousand dollar question referencing a 500 dollar car, but i have to fix it. Any help is mucho appreciato. 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of us here are not up on FWD cars but there are some things you can check. First go to a parts website like Rockauto and check to see if the half shafts are different. The clutch assembly is likely the same. The chassis mount to the tranny may be different but again look at the parts for 4 speeds and 5 speeds. If you haven't already check the Nissan forums; in other parts of the world Sentras are also Nissan Sunnys, search forums may get you the answer.

Part of the confusion here is that all of the USA Sentras from the 1990's in the USA were front wheel drive and did not have a 4-speed manual. It is possible that a previous owner found a foreign 4-speed transmission and put it in that car. Anyway, your 1.6L DOHC is likely the standard GA16DE found in the Sentra and a 5-speed transaxle made for that engine should bolt up just fine.

Also, the next body style from 1995-99 also had the same engine so you might even be able to use a transmission from that year range. (if pulling from a wrecking yard) I'm not sure on the wheelbase or suspension differences so if you replace the axles, make sure they are from your exact model. 1991-94

https://row52.com/Search/?YMMorVin=YMM&Year=1991-1999&V1=&V2=&V3=&V4=&V5=&V6=&V7=&V8=&V9=&V10=&V11=&V12=&V13=&V14=&V15=&V16=&V17=&ZipCode=84094&Page=1&ModelId=3778&MakeId=193&LocationId=&IsVin=false&Distance=100

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Chudd said:

My bad, its actually the manual transmission i was referring to. My car is a normal sentra sedan with a dohc 1.6 motor. No fwd. 

Weird. My info shows only FWD 1.6 and SR20 engines. I'll have another look but DOHC???? 

But all were FWD

9 hours ago, Chudd said:

My bad, its actually the manual transmission i was referring to. My car is a normal sentra sedan with a dohc 1.6 motor. No fwd. 

The earlier Pulsar had a DOHC 1.6 CA16D / CA18E

The even earlier Pulsar NX had an E1.5 ET

ALL FWD so maybe an import?

Is the engine sideways or lengthwise in the engine compartment?

Build date will be on the driver's door tag.

Look on the flat part of the cowl just above and behind the engine valve cover. Quote what's stamped into the painted metal that's there.

Thanks for the input. It is a front wheel drive car. Came stock with the 4 speed transmission hooked to a 1.6 dohc motor. Im being told that a 5 speed transmission may not work since mine had a 4 speed installed from the factory. For some reason that 4 speed manual transmission is a hard sucker to find. And it has to be from a 91-92. No luck there, but i found a 1992 with same motor but with a 5 speed. Im just hoping that this 5 speed will mount up the same as the 4 speed did. 

The transmission is going sideways. Typical sentra setup. USA model. 5 speed transmission i found is also USA made and looks to be exactly the same from just looking at it. 

Just to be clear, Im trying to install a 5 speed manual transmission in place of a 4 speed manual transmission. 

6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Is the engine sideways or lengthwise in the engine compartment?

Build date will be on the driver's door tag.

Look on the flat part of the cowl just above and behind the engine valve cover. Quote what's stamped into the painted metal that's there.

OK so now it IS, FWD.

Trying to ID the DOHC engine. The only DOHC engine for a '92 Sentra was the SR20.

The engine tag is also riveted to the cowl just above the valve cover. What does it say?

Picture of the engine wouldn't hurt either.

Here are pictures of engine. Its the 1.6 and it came from factory with 4 speed manual transmission. I did a vin research and everything matches up. Im pretty sure the 5 speed tranny will bolt up to the motor same as the 4 speed did, im just worried about other mounts, clearing the exhaust, etc. 

Junkyard guy told me that 5 speed transmission probably isnt going to work unless i change out drive axles and flywheel. Any truth to this? 

I tried asking a nissan dealer mechanic. He said he'd get back to me. Its been 9 days with no call. 

I cant figure out how to load pictures onto my post. I uploaded onto my profile. Im horrible with computer stuff. AND pretending to be a car mechanic. 

1N4... NMM made vehicle, as opposed to JN1 Nissan Made.

The E is for GA16DE...... D indicates dual OH `````````cams.

The B is for Nissan Sentra NX Coupe.

32 is the 2 door

A (check digit

3 Passive 3 point seat belts

N.... 1982

C.... NMM manufacturing plant  (maybe not in Japan?)

So this is interesting .....  now I see I must have been on the wrong page because there it is.

4 spd was RN4F31A

5 spd was RS5F31A.... good so far.

Both use the same clutch arm.... good.

Both use the same case cover but a different case, maybe for the extra gear for the gearbox.... good

I'm going to say there will be minor differences between transmission cases but why would the drive shafts be different just because a 5 speed.

You are awesome. Thanks so much for that info. All i can figure is that maybe the left and right driveshafts and/or flywheel might be geared differently? Not sure why the junkyard guy said this. I was prepared to just pull it out, buy it, get a new clutch kit, and throw it in, but his computer was telling him that the 4speed and 5 speed werent matching up. He wasnt sure about the reason. Honestly it looked exactly the same to me. Maybe i should just get it and pray everything matches up? 

Engine/flywheel clutches are all the same. Adding an extra gear would not require changes in them. Probably the two CV shafts are the same. If you can swing it, get the two front drive shafts just in case. If not needed then you always have spares