Sign in to follow this  
hobbes_the_cat

New alternator. 15.6v too much?

I just swapped in a rebuilt internally regulated alternator into my 69 510 wagon. The alternator is for a 1980 200sx. 

Problem (I think ) is i’m getting 15.6v at idle. Sometimes drops to the mid 14’s but mostly stays over 15. Never higher than 15.6 though even when at high revs. 

Alternator light on the dash is illuminated when key is on but immediately goes out when the engine fires up. 

I followed everyones advice and write ups about removing the external reglator and splicing the yellow and white wires and the white/red and white/black. 

Then at the alternator i connected the yellow to the “S” and the white/black to the “L”, 

black ground is connected to the alternator case and the big white/red wire to the “B” lug. 

Connections feel tight and I unwrapped a bunch of the harness and see no damaged wires. 

I have heard cold weather can have an effect on this. It’s about 32F in the garage right now. 

Battery is new and holds 12.68 when  the car is not running. 

Is this just just a cold weather thing or did I get sent a junk rebuild? Or is there something I’m missing? 

Over 14.5v is bad.  Get the alternator tested.  Everything else sounds correct.

Sounds like you got this right. Do as Matt suggested.

Gage or meter reading? If using a harbor freight meter good luck. The standard regulator voltage for automobiles is 13.8, 14.1 or 14.4 heavy duty apps. Anything over Will cook the battery 

Try your meter on another vehicle. If 15 then it's the meter.

Hmmm I should double check my meter to be safe. It’s been a solid performer so I didn’t doubt it. It’s a Greenlee not harbor freight. 🙂

Good point. A dying meter battery can throw off the reading.

Edited by thisismatt