1981 Datsun 510 (a10) hatchback / my intro to Auto world- no shame, just eager

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Also remove and install the fuses to assure good contact. Replacement is also good as looking at them does not prove for sure they are good.

It literally looks like he must have replaced that box And the fuses before I got it, even has spares in the little spare compartment on the box. I'll check for conduct. and update, I have found an earlier diagram, I think late 70s, any way I can reference just for eng bay???

Every year and model can be different. Get the '81 A10 FSM.. it's the bible. Auto/manual, Fed or California emissions, AC or not, 2dr, 4dr, Hatch or wagon all included for that year. Haynes covers all years and models (mostly)  it is condensed and not very speciffic. They usually just copy the FSM anyway so get the FSM and you have most of your future questions answered already.

I don't know if the turn signal switch unit is A10 specific  unit,,  but it doesn't look much like the 720 ones i've seen .

I would definetly go easy on the engine compartment electrical delete,,,,, there is a TON of shit in there ,, not like the older "real" 510s .  A 78 doesn't even have same color coding as a 79 on a couple things so a 81 factory manual would be the only one i would buy. 

Why not just look at wires that are spliced ,, and find colors that are in the area and have the same color codeing on them and see what happens when you hook them together?? 

Or have Datsaholic-Doug live somewhat local to you... either way 

Edited by bananahamuck

We had a member years ago (dwnshftr) who removed everything he thought was 'unnecessary' on his 620. Took him a couple of days and we all told him not to. For the next year all he posted was questions about how his wiper was supposed to be wired because it was fall and raining, how to wire the headlights because it's getting dark out earlier, how to wire the heater fan because it's getting cold out now,  why aren't my dash lights working now? why doesn't my electric choke work?, why doesn't my horn work?.....

There's nothing to delete that isn't important. Get that harness split covering and put your harness inside out of sight. Tape up with black electrical tape. Black works with everything

16-5-Length-Split-Loom-Tubing-Inner-Dia-

Don't fix what ain't broken. No one can see your wiring unless you drive around with the hood off.

• 3 months later...
On 2/12/2019 at 11:29 AM, DatSonOfAWrench209 said:

It literally looks like he must have replaced that box And the fuses before I got it, even has spares in the little spare compartment on the box. I'll check for conduct. and update, I have found an earlier diagram, I think late 70s, any way I can reference just for eng bay???

Yo, where did you get it? I haven't seen it in years. 😂

• 7 months later...
On 2/12/2019 at 3:50 PM, datzenmike said:

We had a member years ago (dwnshftr) who removed everything he thought was 'unnecessary' on his 620. Took him a couple of days and we all told him not to. For the next year all he posted was questions about how his wiper was supposed to be wired because it was fall and raining, how to wire the headlights because it's getting dark out earlier, how to wire the heater fan because it's getting cold out now,  why aren't my dash lights working now? why doesn't my electric choke work?, why doesn't my horn work?.....

There's nothing to delete that isn't important. Get that harness split covering and put your harness inside out of sight. Tape up with black electrical tape. Black works with everything

16-5-Length-Split-Loom-Tubing-Inner-Dia-

Don't fix what ain't broken. No one can see your wiring unless you drive around with the hood off.

Do you know of any interchangeable steering column because my switches Are definitely Broken..😅😤🤑 I seen replacement for almost $300😫👎...need I say more..?

The headlight and turn signal switch stems are unique to the A10, the first year ('79) 280zx and the up to March '79 810. Way over $200 at Nissan if they even have them so look in the wrecking yards or place an ad in the classifieds.

Doesn't Nanner's boy have a warthog or two?