Jump to content
DatSonOfAWrench209

1981 Datsun 510 (a10) hatchback / my intro to Auto world- no shame, just eager

Recommended Posts

   What I got is an underdog amongst import giants, it may not be a more popular earlier round eyed Datsun staple, or a muscle-car reminiscent saloon but due to such big shoes to fill the A10 Had fell short.. But times have been changing and I feel the time has come, for the (as I like to call) "rarity by default" become the new age classic #A10sUnite!!!

     dgs4PI_0SLPWV_1q-bdLSW39uTz6VFp05Ejdhzhv?

    Although I may be mechanically inclined, and have the mind of a Mad scientist, I AM IN NO FORM A PROFESSIONAL BUT AM STARTING MY JOURNEY ON LEARNING ALL I CAN (for I do not know all)  SO PLEASE BARE WITH ME AND HELP SEND ME ON MY WAY TO AUTOMOTIVE REVOLUTION..?

              

            1981 DATSUN 510 (A10) HATCHBACK ~ Nissan  2.0L Z20s ~(more pics soon. New to all this forum stuff)

                              •BONE STOCK - legal elevation/emissions delete(-EGRs) Smoged in 2017 and has a cheap $40 Chinese carb on it? one of the reasons I got it for 3 RC TRUCKS???

                              •LOWERED(on chopped springs???) no susp. Travel

                              

Quote

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

In VERY general terms... to post a picture you will need a picture hosting site account. Usually free but offering other options for a fee. There are dozens probably hundreds but I will advise NOT using Photobucket, ever! I don't need all that other crap so for me, free is fine. You download your picture(s) there and save it in an album(s). When you want to post a picture of something here you go to your account album, copy the information, bring it here and paste it in your post using the "Insert other media" button in the lower right of the page. I don't know what all the terms are for this and I'm not explaining it well but I just experimented till I got it to work and trust me..... if I can do it anyone can.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post

First things first, THE pre-GAME PLAN.. Soon to be Project Datsun GT-R™ 'R510'~/~Silvia™ 'S510'<>'510SX'??

  

   [√] manage not to get car impounded or stolen... Yet?

   [   ] Phase 1 REVAMP~RE-DO WIRING HARNESS

             •Lights work when they want?

             •Same with gauges.

             •After emissions delete, there are wires for which I don't know what to or was to, nor do I know the origin.

             •Planing on definite relocation of a couple things, maybe the battery also...

                  

                                       Yes, I will be doing this by my self or plan on it anyways, SO IF YOU THINK I SHOULD KNOW SOMETHING OR DONT KNOW EXACTLY KNOW WHAT IM DOING, PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

In VERY general terms... to post a picture you will need a picture hosting site account. Usually free but offering other options for a fee. There are dozens probably hundreds but I will advise NOT using Photobucket, ever! I don't need all that other crap so for me, free is fine. You download your picture(s) there and save it in an album(s). When you want to post a picture of something here you go to your account album, copy the information, bring it here and paste it in your post using the "Insert other media" button in the lower right of the page. I don't know what all the terms are for this and I'm not explaining it well but I just experimented till I got it to work and trust me..... if I can do it anyone can.

How do I make sure the pic will show up on site?

Share this post


Link to post

See if I can make any sense here...

 

I use imgur hosting site but any will do (well except Photobucket who are not to be trusted. EVER) I go there and click on my photo and a list of options pops up. One is 'copy image location'. I click on it come back to my post on Ratsun and press the Ctrl and the V buttons at the same time. Booom! Picture is inserted into my post. Hand held devices are likely a different method but as I said before experiment till you get it.

 

482BZMW.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, DatSonOfAWrench209 said:

First things first, THE pre-GAME PLAN.. Soon to be Project Datsun GTR™ R510

  

   [√] manage not to get car impounded or stolen... Yet?

   [   ] Phase 1 REVAMP~RE-DO WIRING HARNESS

             •Lights work when they want?

             •Same with gauges.

             •After emissions delete, there are wires for which I don't know what to or was to, nor do I know the origin.

             •Planing on definite relocation of a couple things, maybe the battery also...

                  

                                       Yes, I will be doing this by my self or plan on it anyways, SO IF YOU THINK I SHOULD KNOW SOMETHING OR DONT KNOW EXACTLY KNOW WHAT IM DOING, PLEASE LET ME KNOW

 

It's highly recommended that you install an ignition kill switch for theft prevention. These Datsuns are easy to steel using only a BFS big fucking screwdriver.

 

 

Random working of electrical is almost always tarnish of the fuse contact clips. The fuse box is driver's side under dash edge??? See if you can unplug and remove it. It may not... my 710 box is 'hard wired' into the harness. If you can get it to come off or dangle down freely, remove the fuses and immerse completely in suitable size container of lemon juice and salt mixture. Leave over night and rinse off and let dry in the morning. Lemon's weak acid will remove copper tarnish from the fuse clips and plug contacts. Here's my 620 box after...

 

6XXHZRx.jpg

 

Might also be a good time to simply replace the fuses as they are simply not to be trusted to work by a visual examination.

 

 

Lights are also commonly the switch on the steering column. The lubricating grease collects dirt and dries out becoming harder for the contacts to touch. Owners of this type report turning the lights on and there is a long pause before they do, others report the high beams are slow to turn on. A quick fix might be to split the steering column clam shell cover and use a spray contact cleaner maybe from Amazon. Or to remove the steering wheel and remove it for thorough cleaning and lubrication. You can do the wiper switch as well.

Share this post


Link to post

Ripping everything out could end up permanent. Go slow, little steps. Fix things one at a time. People don't fuck the wiring on purpose, they add things like CB or stereo or gauges and take short cuts connecting the wiring that fuck things up. First of all they didn't take the dash out to do this so you should be able to reverse it.

 

Be specific about what the car is or isn't doing. Like the turn signal doesn't work. It could be an easy fix like the flasher is missing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Ripping everything out could end up permanent. Go slow, little steps. Fix things one at a time. People don't fuck the wiring on purpose, they add things like CB or stereo or gauges and take short cuts connecting the wiring that fuck things up. First of all they didn't take the dash out to do this so you should be able to reverse it.

 

Be specific about what the car is or isn't doing. Like the turn signal doesn't work. It could be an easy fix like the flasher is missing.

And that is kinda what I got, the engine bay is more my concern(a lot of cut, black taped wiring and I had sprayed it all down before most of the problems started)

Share this post


Link to post

Do you have picture posting capability yet?

 

A digital picture is worth a thousand words........................................................ Confucius 498 BC

Share this post


Link to post

Oh yea, steering column switches have been broken off...(colateral damage...)? but, Seriously I need ideas for that Before I spend 200 on a whole switch Assembly.. Repair or Don't repair... That is a question ¿? Or choice??? There's my random rant? Any interchangeable parts between years/models/trucks???

Share this post


Link to post

Get switches from a wrecking yard. The '80-'83 200sx and the 720 used that same stalk with the lights and turn signal. Look around.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Agree with that but only the factory service manual FSM not a Haynes or Chilton's. The FSM is the bible of manuals.

 

All factory wiring is necessary. You can use with split harness coverings to make it look neater.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/9/2019 at 12:35 PM, datzenmike said:

See if I can make any sense here...

 

I use imgur hosting site but any will do (well except Photobucket who are not to be trusted. EVER) I go there and click on my photo and a list of options pops up. One is 'copy image location'. I click on it come back to my post on Ratsun and press the Ctrl and the V buttons at the same time. Booom! Picture is inserted into my post. Hand held devices are likely a different method but as I said before experiment till you get it.

 

482BZMW.jpg

 

On 2/9/2019 at 4:40 PM, datzenmike said:

Do you have picture posting capability yet?

 

A digital picture is worth a thousand words........................................................ Confucius 498 BC

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nR2NgT3t4CRJkwwdA ...?

Share this post


Link to post

Keep trying

 

dgs4PI_0SLPWV_1q-bdLSW39uTz6VFp05Ejdhzhv

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

.... yessss.

 

Now deliver her yourself.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/9/2019 at 4:17 PM, DatSonOfAWrench209 said:

And that is kinda what I got, the engine bay is more my concern(a lot of cut, black taped wiring and I had sprayed it all down before most of the problems started)

I checked my fuses under dash and most of everything looks brand new, and I got to just replace switches(thanx babe?, she's paying for it) but that was good to know because I was wondering about when all that dust and dirty grease dries. So if I do find single switches are there any links I can utilize to do all that re-greasing? And I have a factory service manual and wiring diagram getting shipped tomorrow..hopefully, to help make sense of the engine bay???

Share this post


Link to post

I think the switches come apart enough to see what needs contact 'grease'. The switch is common to other early '80 cars and the 720 truck if you can find one. You may be able to just spray it clean. You might even try working the switch multiple times to rub the contacts clean. I fund my horn buttons stop working because they don't get used enough. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.