Drum brake backing plates?

Datsun 720

Hi all, new to the community, I found myself a 82 Datsun 720 King cab with 112k miles in Ohio, needs some work, but cheap CL find. I bought rotors and pads, and drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, spring hardware. Cannot find brake backing plates for this truck, the current ones are pretty rusty. Any suggestions on where I can find some new or used ones? The shop I use can't find any, I've searched online, I saw some 280z backing plates on eBay that look close but have no idea if they'd work. Any help appreciated, thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Unless eroded away or full of holes, clean and de-grease them then rust paint them. No one is going to see them. (or care really) You might also use a rust converter product like Por 15 then paint.

Thanks datzenmike, I'll see if I can do this, unsure of the deterioration, I have it in a shop, and will be there tomorrow. 

21 hours ago, Bleach said:

The Datsun 720 truck is the most plentiful in the wrecking yards but it looks like there is nothing within 500 miles of where you're at. Tough luck.

Yeah, it's certainly a rare truck around here. I've called around a bit and found zero. There is one Datsun 720 on Cleveland CL for 8500, and it seems like a barn find. (And overpriced, or I got a bargain @500)

Mine had a ratchet straps holding up the gas tank, a patch on the frame, leaks in the exhaust, shredded original bucket seats (which I think should be a bench seat for the KC normally?), and a bullet hole thru the driver's door. Lol, however it's a blast to drive and it runs like a champ.

Caution about the proper antifreeze mixture for temp outside, I'm also replacing my radiator, because the polar vortex turned my coolant a slushy, luckily I noticed temp was a lil high, I turned around to my driveway without any overheating, but the overflow hose was frozen and my rad sprung a leak.

There are different kinds of backing plates depending on when the truck was built, so not just any 720 backing plate will be like yours.

Also these plates get banged up, I have 2 different types in my scrap pile, neither of them look nice around the edges where they are not protected by the drums, you need to save what you have if possible.

35 minutes ago, wayno said:

There are different kinds of backing plates depending on when the truck was built, so not just any 720 backing plate will be like yours.

Also these plates get banged up, ...you need to save what you have if possible.

Very good to know, I realized to look out for those details when buying the wheel cylinders for my '82. Different parts, one size for production -12/81, one for 82 on (I believe, one 5/8" and one 9/16). 

I'll try to salvage the current backing plates if at all possible. 

Always run 50/50 anti-freeze and distilled water winter and summer!!! If not sure, check it. If really worried drain it out to prevent freezing in the block, rad or heater. I had an old car start to turn to slush so I warmed it up to melt it and dumped it out. Empty is better than frozen.

All KCs came with bucket seats although they are not at all comfortable. Maybe made for Japanese 'buckets'? Seats have come a long way in 40+ years of comfort, materials and adjustment options like lumbar support and there are even power seats. The KC has more room for thicker seats that wouldn't fit a standard cab. I think Dodge Neon seats are a good fit but anything you like could be put in, with work, and look great. Gray or black would match any paint color you have.

On 2/3/2019 at 2:28 PM, datzenmike said:

Always run 50/50 anti-freeze and distilled water winter and summer!!! If not sure, check it. Empty is better than frozen.

All KCs came with bucket seats although they are not at all comfortable.I think Dodge Neon seats are a good fit but anything you like could be put in, with work, and look great. Gray or black would match any paint color you have.

Great to know, and yes, they're certainly uncomfortable especially since the fabric is shredded and foam has tears.. and thanks, I'll have to look for a neon or something else for new ones. 

I have been down to the shop, took pictures and spoke to them.. the backing plates are not Swiss cheese (like I presumed from speaking with them) or banged up around the sides from where they're not covered by the drums, "the plates hardware mounting holes are rusted where new parts won't work," the holes have gotten oversized maybe from rust. Don't know about embedding photos on here, but here's a link of a Google photos album https://photos.app.goo.gl/wx9qVx36vtnYvM868 

Both sides are there, btw I got the Haynes manual on this truck at advance auto for $7 which I thought was a great deal if anyone else needs one (also, order things online and select in store pickup for 20% off)

• Like 1

I was recommended by the auto parts guy to get it home, and disassemble myself, wire brushing and painting the brake drums, I have a tombstone welder so I can fill and grind to make holes smaller if needed. I couldn't tell too much about hardware holes from the photos, maybe someone sees something

• Like 1